попадать/бить/ударять

jos.dan

Spanish
Всем привет!
I would like to know whether there's a difference between these three verbs regarding the meaning of "to hit sb". I remember a native once told me that попадать is mostly used when the action is unintentional. Is this true? And if it is, can the other two verbs (бить/ударять) used the same way or only when somebody hits somebody else intentionally?

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hit you.

Прости! Я не хотел попасть/ударить/побить тебя.

The attacker hit him in the head.

Нападающий ударил/побил его в голову.

Заранее спасибо!

• Vovan

Russian
    jos.dan
    I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hit you.
    Я не хотел тебя ударить.
    Я не специально ударил тебя.
    Я случайно (или: не специально, не нарочно) в тебя попал. (hitting unintentionally as a result of bad aiming)
    Я случайно (или: не специально, не нарочно) задел тебя. (hitting relatively slightly and unintentionally as a result of bad aiming or bad coordination)
    The attacker hit him in the head. Нападавший ударил его в голову (или: по голове).

Note:
    an attacker - 1. нападающий, нападавший, напавший, 2. (спорт) нападающий.
    попасть - to be successful in hitting an aim

jos.dan

Spanish
    Thank you so much... that makes everything much clearer for me

One last question... (по)бить also means "to hit", doesn't it? In what instances would you use it?

jos.dan

Spanish
    an attacker - 1. нападающий, нападавший, напавший, 2. (спорт) нападающий.
    Ah, I get it. Since we're talking about a past action, the past active participle is better. Thanks for that correction as well :)

Vovan

Russian
    One last question... (по)бить also means "to hit", doesn't it? In what instances would you use it?
    "Бить" implies a series of blows/strikes (i.e. more than one), but not necessarily all during one episode . It's similar to the English "to beat (up)".
    Я слышал, что он регулярно бьет/избивает свою жену. Почему он еще не в тюрьме?
    Хулиганы избили/побили группу иностранных туристов рядом с метро "Сокольники".
    "Избить" is more often used as a perfective form than "побить" in today's Russian, I'd say. "Побить" has a slightly colloquial feel in this meaning.

Narkom

Russian
    "To hit" offen means a single strike:
    He hit the ball like Ronaldo. :tick:
    Он ударил по мячу, как Роналдо.
    He beat the ball like Ronaldo. :cross:
    Он побил/избил мяч, как Роналдо. :cross:

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    "Попасть чем-л. куда-л. (по чему-л., во что-л., по кому-л., в кого-л.)" - to reach something or somebody with something (a body part, an object in one's hand, a projectile), hitting it/him as a result, deliberately or accidentally, often as opposed to missing it.
    Же́ня случа́йно попа́л Ко́ле па́лкой по́ лбу.
    Я́ уда́рил его́ и попа́л в висо́к.
    Пе́рвая раке́та прошла́ ми́мо, но втора́я попа́ла в це́ль.
    Я́ вы́стрелил и попа́л.
    Сослужи́вец неча́янно попа́л мне по голове́ трубо́й, когда́ мы разгружа́ли маши́ну.
    The choice of the preposition is tricky (it generally depends on the object and on the kind of hitting). Cf., for instance, "попа́сть по голове́ автома́том" vs. "попа́сть в го́лову из автома́та". :)
    Note the related broader meanings "to successfully reach something with something directed" (e.g. "попа́сть ни́ткой в иго́льное ушко́"), "to reach somewhere during the course of movement" (possibly also in the figurative sense) and "to find oneself somewhere" (= очути́ться; "куда́ я попа́л?!").

jos.dan

Spanish
    Thanks for all the answers... As always, you've all been very helpful

One last question related to the verb "to hit sb"... Could стухнуть be used in these sentences instead?

I'll rewrite some sentences using this verb

Нападавший стухнул его в голову.
    Он стухнул по мячу, как Роналдо.
    Я стухнул его и попал в висок.
    Я не специально стухнул тебя.

Which sound right and which doesn't?

EDIT: typos

Last edited:

Vronsky

Russian - Russia
    "Стухнуть" is a completely different word :)

Нападавший стукнул его в голову. - :tick:
    Он стукнул по мячу, как Роналдо. - :cross:
    Я стукнул его и попал в висок. - probably :tick:
    Я не специально стукнул тебя. - :tick:

But "стукнул" has a little funny feeling in those sentences. It's hard to explain. Although they are correct, I wouldn't use them in formal situations.

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    It's сту́кнуть, not сту́хнуть (coll., = проту́хнуть). :)

Сту́кнуть literally means "to make a single knock" (i.e. "to land a strike against something hard, producing a sound"); cf. стуча́ть "to knock repeatedly", perf. постуча́ть "to knock (making a brief series of knocks)".

When speaking about hitting living beings or their body parts, "сту́кнуть" implies a hit with something blunt, of limited strength (a strike that turns one's head into a mess hardly counts), and is strictly informal.

< Previous | Next >