преданный

jos.dan

Spanish
Всем привет

I just found out that преданный means "devoted" or "loyal", but предать means "to betray", doesn't it? What's the logic behind that? The first time I read преданный I thought it meant "betrayed", since it's the past passive participle of предать

Thank you in advance :)

• GCRaistlin

Russian
    У слова преданный два значения: верный (loyal) и тот, кого предали (betrayed). Различаются в основном по управлению (преданный кому или преданный кем), но иногда и по контексту (например, преданный друг может означать как верный друг, так и друг, которого предали).

Awwal12

Russian
    "Преданный" also means "betrayed" - as a participle. As an adjective, however, it's "loyal" or "devoted" indeed. The reason, I suppose, is that while in Russian "предать" means only "betray", the meaning of its Church Slavonic source ("прѣдати") is more broad (cf. Rus. "передать", stable expressions like "предать земле", or "предаться"). So, "преданный" is essentially someone who gives himself/herself away to somebody, in a sense.

jos.dan

Spanish
    the meaning of its Church Slavonic source ("прѣдати") is more broad (cf. Rus. "передать", stable expressions like "предать земле", or "предаться")
    That makes sense. I originally thought something like "people become loyal to somebody when they were first betrayed by someone else", but the reasoning of "somebody who gives away themselves to someone else" makes more sense" :)

This reminds me of the English word "treason" (=betrayal), from Old French "traison", which ultimately goes back to Latin "traditio" (delivery, handing over).
    So "treason" and "tradition" have the same origin? That's interesting. I had no idea about that.

Thanks for all answers :)

Dryan

English - Northeastern U.S.
    English does something similar with give up.
    You can give someone up to the authorities (betray them).
    You can also give yourself up to someone (pledge service / loyalty).

< Previous | Next >