приходиться

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
В. Путин: Что касается наших экономических взаимоотношений, Россия остаётся самым крупным инвестором в белорусскую экономику. Только один из проектов – это атомная электростанция: 10 миллиардов в долларовом эквиваленте это стоит. В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии приходятся именно на Российскую Федерацию. В Белоруссии работает почти 2,5 тысячи предприятий с российским капиталом. У нас очень устойчивая и глубокая кооперация по целому ряду направлений и в целом ряде отраслей.

This is from a Vladimir Putin - Alexander Lukashenko speech (14 сентября 2020 года), kremlin.ru

What is the meaning of приходиться?
...оборота Белоруссии приходятся именно...

• pimlicodude

British English
    Приходиться - account for (one of the meanings).
    50% of the Belarus foreign trade turnover accounts for Russia.
    I find that the Russian word order and syntax is non-instinctive for an English speaker. This should be, not 50% of the foreign trade turnover accounts for Russia, but "Russia accounts for 50% of Belarus' foreign trade turnover". I don't mean to be argumentative, but I want to point this out.

Четверть населения приходится на русских: Russians account for 25% of the population

In English, we say it totally the other way round.

nizzebro

Russian
    In English, we say it totally the other way round.
    In general, I got a feeling that "accounts for" in its logic is more related to "has a share", while "приходится на" is more like "falls on".

Anyway, one sample I see in Context Reverso:

Подавляющее большинство покупок приходится на популярные платформы е-коммерции США и Китая.
    "The vast majority of purchases account for popular e-commerce platforms of the US and China," he noted.

I'm wondering if the English sentence is fully adequate; if so, the matter is probably that "vast majority" appears as an independent entity here, as a local topic to speak about.

pimlicodude

British English
    In general, I got a feeling that "accounts for" in its logic is more related to "has a share", while "приходится на" is more like "falls on".

Anyway, one sample I see in Context Reverso:

Подавляющее большинство покупок приходится на популярные платформы е-коммерции США и Китая.
    "The vast majority of purchases account for popular e-commerce platforms of the US and China," he noted.

I'm wondering if the English sentence is fully adequate; if so, the matter is probably that "vast majority" appears as an independent entity here, as a local topic to speak about.
    No, the Context Reverso translation is wrong. It should be: popular American and Chinese e-commerce platforms account for the overwhelming majority of purchases.

pimlicodude

British English
    Can you say, “… are accounted for…” instead?
    Not unless you put it the other way round. (From the Internet, a UK govt site): a quarter of the increase in Bexley's non-white population is accounted for by people with Nigerian names. This means the same as "people with Nigerian names account for a quarter of the increase".

Last edited:

nizzebro

Russian
    I would say, that "to correspond" would be the best possible translation, but I don't know why the dictionaries don't have this translation.
    I wouldn't say that. "Correspond" implies that compared things are of the same nature - words, ideas, images, behavior; these might be numbers as well, but in our case we have numbers on one side only - on the other side we have a buyer (partner, country) - which is a thing of a different nature. Besides that, correspondence emphasizes a parallel character of relations (a1->b1; a2->b2). In most cases it can be translated with соответствовать + dat., with no problems (being also a calque from French, I guess).
    "Приходиться на", on the contrary, renders a kind of projection of the partial amount for something specific that is itself a domain, and mostly in a context of that the projected amount is worth to notice for some reason. In translations it appears as "falls on smth", "occurs in (area/period)", "is in (domain)", "stems from".

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
    So:

В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии переписываются именно на Российскую Федерацию.

В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии корреспондируют именно на Российскую Федерацию.

В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии корреспондируются именно на Российскую Федерацию.

Don't these sentences make any sense?

nizzebro

Russian
    No, no sense. To correspond (meaning "to comply with") = cooтветствовать+ dat. When I wrote that it is a calque, I meant со=con + oтвет = response. This sort of "correspond" relates only to the idea of 'compliance', not 'writing to each other'.
    The stem "корреспонд-" in Russian is about writing letters, reporter's work, or the like; "переписывать на"+dat. also has another meaning: "sign over smth to someone".

As for cooтветствовать - you might use it as "свыше 50 процентов ... соответствует Российской Федерации" (corresponds), but, it would not sound fine in the original sentence, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:

Rosett

Russian
    «Приходиться» has 8 distinctive meanings:

<...>

6) безл. (на кого-л. / что-л.) number, account (for)
    четверть всего экспорта приходится на нефть — oil accounts for one-fourth of all exports

<...>
    Mod.: irrelevant part of the post deleted.

В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии переписываются именно на Российскую Федерацию.

В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии корреспондируют именно на Российскую Федерацию.

В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии корреспондируются именно на Российскую Федерацию.

Don't these sentences make any sense?
    Not really. You can say, however:

«В целом свыше 50 процентов внешнеторгового оборота Белоруссии падает именно на Российскую Федерацию».

падать
    II только несовер.; на что-л.
    account for, constitute, comprise, make up
    Пятьдесят процентов расходов падает на хранение. — Fifty percent of costs is due to the storage. The storage constitutes 50% of costs.
    Syn:
    приходиться

Last edited by a moderator: