просто думаю обо всём что да и как

RDuffin

English - UK
A Russian-speaking friend recently wrote to me: ‘просто думаю обо всём что да и как’.
Any neat ideas as to how I’m to understand ‘обо всем что да?
Many thanks.
Russell

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi there, as I understand it here without context, "что да и как" is a pretty meaningless phrase to express the speaker's sense of the unknowables, the variables and the imponderables of the situation to which it refers, so something like:
    I've been giving a lot of thought to everything, all the whys and wherefores / all the ins and outs of it / trying to make head and tail of things / trying to get a handle on things.
    (Context, of course, would help.)

Maroseika

Russian
    A Russian-speaking friend recently wrote to me: ‘просто думаю обо всём что да и как’.
    Any neat ideas as to how I’m to understand ‘обо всем что да?
    With proper punctuation it would be more clear: "Просто думаю обо всём, что да и как".
    Что да и как is a strangely changed set expression что да как - what's going on (in details). Usually it is used like:
    Я расспросил его что да как.
    Она рассказала мне что да как (что случилось, что происходит и т.п.).

RDuffin

English - UK
    Hi there, as I understand it here without context, "что да и как" is a pretty meaningless phrase to express the speaker's sense of the unknowables, the variables and the imponderables of the situation to which it refers, so something like:
    I've been giving a lot of thought to everything, all the whys and wherefores / all the ins and outs of it / trying to make head and tail of things / trying to get a handle on things.
    (Context, of course, would help.)
    Thanks, that would fit perfectly. The rest of the paragraph was: Мне в голову все равно разные мысли лезут, конечно положительные, просто думаю обо всем что да и как. Но думаю все будет хорошо и все получится!

RDuffin

English - UK
    With proper punctuation it would be more clear: "Просто думаю обо всём, что да и как".
    Что да и как is a strangely changed set expression что да как - what's going on (in details). Usually it is used like:
    Я расспросил его что да как.
    Она рассказала мне что да как (что случилось, что происходит и т.п.).
    Thanks. I’ve added the full paragraph. It was pretty clear to me that the speaker thinks things will work out as she wants, but she doesn’t know exactly how that will happen, in view of the ‘imponderables’.

RDuffin

English - UK
    Thanks everyone for your replies. As a non-native speaker, I was a bit unsure as to the precise meaning of this idiomatic expression.

< Previous | Next >