расшифровать / дешифровать

< Previous | Next >

Interprete

French, France
Hello,

Between расшифровать and дешифровать, which I understand to be exactly synonymous, I’d like to know which one is more commonly used.
I’m surprised to find the suffix де- which sounds a lot more Latin/Romance than Russian.

thanks!

• nizzebro

Russian
    дешифровать is rather a professional term, to me, it is mostly associated to wartime; расшифровать is a general word which could be used also figuratively.

nizzebro

Russian
    I’m surprised to find the suffix де- which sounds a lot more Latin/Romance than Russian.
    wiktionary.org Русские слова с приставкой де-
    Most of them are science and technology related borrowed terms - but there's also some words you could encounter within a political discourse - where, I guess, they are actually formal euphemisms used to avoid any charge of bias: делегитимизировать, деанонимизировать, декриминализировать.... It should be noted that most people in Russia (at least educated ones) are aware of the meaning of "de-" so (unfortunately) any new terms are always possible...

Last edited:

Vovan

Russian
    Расшифровать and дешифровать, which I understand to be exactly synonymous.
    Not quite: "дешифровать" can refer specifically to decyphering the registration code of a document, not the document itself.
    Расшифровать документ (=привести зашифрованный документ к исходному виду).
    Дешифр(ир)овать документ (=1. расшифровать регистрационный код документа; 2. то же, что и расшифровать документ).

For example:
    Во избежание дешифрирования не используйте код менее чем из двадцати цифр.

See the corresponding meanings of "шифр":
    шифр:
    1. Система знаков для секретного письма.
    Цифровой, буквенный ш. Ключ к ~у.
    2. Регистрационный условный знак на книгах, рукописях, документах.
    Мартин Лукьяныч вскочил, раздражительно выдвинул ящик, выкинул оттуда пачку писем с шифром «Ю», начал трясущимися руками разбирать их.

< Previous | Next >