самородок

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Andrew, "an original" (as a noun) doesn't work well for me to describe a person, and even as an adjective, I'm not sure it conveys the sense of самородок, though we don't have context.

As a guitarist, he was original (adjective - but guitarists can be original in many different ways, and there can be many original guitarists, so it's difficult to know whether that conveys the intended sense of самородок without context)
    As a guitarist, he was an original. :confused::thumbsdown: (- doesn't work for me)
    original (noun)
    something that is in the form in which it was first created and has not been copied or changed (Cambridge)

оригинал, подлинник

"One of a kind" either as a noun or adjectival phrase might be a good option, so:
    As a guitarist, he was one of a kind (noun, no hyphens - there has been nobody else like him)
    He was a one-of-a-kind guitarist (adjectival phrase, so hyphenated - there has been nobody else like him)

Otherwise I think you'd have to say "uniquely talented/gifted", or something similar. I can imagine contexts in which "iconic" (культовый, легендарный) might be an option for самородок, though again we need context.

Andrew1980

Hi,

Is it OK to say original about a person in a sense that he posesses some unique talents given to him from birth?

Thanks
    Thanks. For example, it can be a person who does not have official education but has natural talent and who has found a way different from the other like a pioneer. Samorodok is ofter referred to Kulibin, the inventor Ivan Kulibin - Wikipedia

Mod note: context provided below

Warren Buffet is real [rough diamond (samorodk)] as he achieved everything by himself due to his extraordinary inclination to forecasting investments situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosett

Russian
    Самородок means someone naturally gifted at birth. Самородок does not have to receive any training, either self, or formal. There is no equivalent to it in English at all - probably, due to the incompatible cultural concept.
    For example, Левша is a most typical самородок.
    In English, he is rendered as Crosseyed Lefthander... "Styled as a folk tale, it tells a story of a left-handed arms craftsman from Tula (traditionally a center of the Russian armaments industry) who outperformed his English colleagues by providing a clockwork steel flea they'd made with horseshoes and inscriptions on them."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >