сколько тебе ни тверди

Interprete

French, France
Hello,

In the sentence: сколько тебе не тверди, что лучше делать это через агенство, тебе всё не впрок.
I don't undertsand the grammatical structure in bold. I understand that the meaning is 'no matter how many times I've told you that' blabla, but why is the verb in the negative imperative form?

Thanks!

• lena55313

Russian-Russia
    It's not a negative form НЕ тверди. It's for strengthening a positive form НИ тверди.
    Means: I did say repeatedly

lena55313

Russian-Russia
    I think it means something about past and about future simultaneously. I did say repeatedly and if i repeat it many times once again...

Q-cumber

Thank you. So the НЕ in my book is a typo ?
    Also, why is it not твердил (past) ?
    This is the fixed construction: сколько тебе ни говори / тверди / дай / показывай and so on.
    The past tense also can be used: сколько тебе ни говорили/ я тебе ни говорил , ты всё равно сделал по-своему.

...агенТство... (from агент)

Maroseika

Russian
    So the НЕ in my book is a typo ?
    Yes, a blunder.

Also, why is it not твердил (past) ?
    This is a kind of the Conditional Mood formed by use of the verb in Imperative:
    Сколько ни работай, всех денег не заработаешь.
    Как ни крути, без работы не прожить.
    Куда ни сунься, всюду отказывают.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    A few more examples to illustrate that same сколько ни +imperative construction, if I may:

Сколько ни учись на чужих ошибках, а свои надо делать. No matter how much you learn from other people's mistakes, you still have to make your own.
    Сколько ни живи, а умирать надо. No matter how much living you do, you still have to die (in the end).
    (Similar idea) Сколько ни живи, а смерти не отбыть (не миновать).
    Сколько ни живи, а умирать не хочется. No matter how much living you do (or "you've done"), you never want to die.
    Левандовски: "Сколько ни забивай, мне все мало" (source: ru.uefa.com) No matter how many goals I score, it's never enough for me ....
    Иванов: без операции на земле, сколько ни бомби, успеха в Сирии не добьешься (source: vesti.ru) ... no matter how much bombing you do ...

Что ни говори, он не понимает: no matter what you say / you can tell him till you're blue in the face, he ...
    Когда ни позвони, она всегда занята: no matter when you ring/phone/call her, she's ...
    Как ни крути, нужно учить грамматику: there's no getting away from it / like it or not / whichever way you look at it. ....

[other transations are possible, of course]

Q-cumber

All the samples are fine, but this one:

Что ни говори, он не понимает....

"Что ни говори" is the fixed construction. It means "say what you like", "no matter what anyone says", "regardless on any contrary opinions (the following is correct).

Rosett

Russian
    All the samples are fine, but this one:

Что ни говори, он не понимает....

"Что ни говори" is the fixed construction. It means "say what you like", "no matter what anyone says", "regardless on any contrary opinions (the following is correct).
    "Что ему ни говори..." makes it.

Sobakus

There's nothing wrong with the EM's sample. It's just a bit confusing.

Что ни говори, а он ничего не понимает в физике...
    My point is that it can only be confusing outside of context, but language doesn't work outside of context. I personally wouldn't use the conjunction а in combination with the discussed meaning, but theoretically it would indeed make both meanings possible in writing.

< Previous | Next >