следовать чему-л / следовать за чем-л

< Previous | Next >

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
Всем привет!

In ReversoContext I found examples of следовать using either the dative case without preposition, or the instrumental case with за. Is there any difference between these two governments?

Some examples I found online...
a) Она не следует никакой логической модели/за никакой логической моделей.
b) И тогда я заметил, что он следил мне/следил за мной.
c) Один однообразный день следует другому такому же однообразному/за другим таким же однообразным.

Which variant is correct? Or maybe both are correct?

Заранее спасибо)

• Awwal12

Russian
    In ReversoContext I found examples of следовать using either the dative case without preposition, or the instrumental case with за. Is there any difference between these two governments?
    Yes. Only "сле́довать за кем-л./чем-л." can be used in the literal meaning; it also means "to follow in time". "Сле́довать чему-л.", on the other hand, is entirely figurative ("to follow (some rule, decision etc.); to abide by sth").

Regarding b), I must note that "следи́ть" and "сле́довать" are unrelated verbs (at least in modern Russian; obviously they share the general etymology), and "следовать" may be not the best verb for that situation (I'd try something like "преследует", "идёт по пятам", "идёт следом" etc.).

Vovan

Russian
    a) Она не следует никакой логической модели/за никакой логической моделей.
    b) И тогда я заметил, что он следил мне/следил за мной.
    c) Один однообразный день следует другому такому же однообразному/за другим таким же однообразным.
    In Russian, "следовать чему-то" (the dative case) and "следовать за чем-то" (the instrumental case) mean different things.
    And "следить за кем-то" (the instrumental case) is a different verb altogether!

Here's how your sentences should be:
    A. Она не следует никакой логической модели. (=Doesn't follow any logical model.)
    B. И тогдя я заметил, что он следит/следил за мной. (=...that he was following me / had followed me. Note the tense: in Russian, no formal sequence of tenses exists!)
    C. Один однообразный день следует за другим таким же. (=One dull day follows another.)

Last edited:

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
    I understood everything! Thank you so much :)

Now I realized I used two different verbs, "следовать" and "следить". They are so similar! :)

< Previous | Next >