сосиска v. колбаса

macdevster

USA, English
I'm looking for the word for "sausage" one might use to describe American breakfast sausage. Thoughts?

• Vovan

Russian
    Looking at what American breakfast sausage looks like (and reading how it is cooked), I'd suggest calling it "колбаски" (pl. only).

(Source: In recent years, "колбаски для жарки" (pl.) or "колбаски для гриля" (pl.) have become common in Russian food retail stores. They seem to me much the same as American breakfast sausage. "Сосиски" (pl.) are different: their texture is smoother.)

Vovan

Russian
    Why so?..
    As the name of the dish (just as "пельмени", for example) - that's what I meant.
    Утром она ела колбаски и пила кофе со сливками.
    Утром она ела колбаску и пила кофе со сливками. ("Колбаска" here is likely to be understood as a diminutive of the uncountable meaning of "колбаса".)

Vovan

Russian
    They look more like "котлеты" to me.
    You're right. :D

I think I've found a good explanation of what American breakfast sausage is here (in a Wikipedia article in Simple English, strangely enough!).
    Now I see that it is sold in two varieties: 1. "fresh" and 2. "fully-cooked".
    The first variety, when sliced and fried, is really close to what we'd rather call "котлеты". But this product is indeed sold in Russia today under the label "колбаски для жарки" - just as the precooked variety.

Last edited:

macdevster

USA, English
    Seeing this conversation, I forgot that there are definitely two types of American breakfast sausages. "Links" (longer, rounded, like hot dogs) and "patties" (flat and round, almost like smaller hamburgers).
    links.jpeg
    patties.jpg

Vovan

Russian
    macdevster, what we see in the first picture may be called ":tick:(сырые) колбаски для жарки/гриля". As for the second, I don't think that speakers of Russian could ever place those "patties" in the same category as that in the first picture, so the above-suggested could be really misleading.

Still, you might try adding "нарезанные" (sliced) to refer to those patties: ":rolleyes:нарезанные сырые колбаски для жарки/гриля". When solely homemade (see here), they should be called differently, though. "Тонкие (бургерные) котлетки" might work to describe them.

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    ...Which would also include cutlets and even pelmeni, but would necessarily imply that all are factory-made. It is really impossible to give an accurate translation outside of some particular context here.

Okkervil

Russian - Russia
    ...скажем больше: "Мясосодержащий продукт".
    Именно под такими названиями подобное оно и фигурирует в официальных документах.
    Что касается наименований патентованных продуктов питания или блюд, то они транслитерируются.

Так в русском меню одного известного американского бренда мы видим всякие там "чиккен мак наггетсы" и прочую белиберду.
    Поэтому нашему американскому другу macdevster со всей ответственностью можно посоветовать называть "American breakfast sausage", следуя примеру старшего брата, "Амэрикан брэкфаст сосидж".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >