столько/сколько + настолько/насколько

< Previous | Next >

rainynights

English - UK
Hello all!

I was wondering if someone could explain what the essential differences are between the words столько, сколько, настолько and настолько as they all seem to be very similar to me.

And how do you use them to link up clauses, i.e. ...столько, сколько...

Would be very grateful if someone could explain them to me and give a few sample sentences.

Thank you!

• Maroseika

Russian
    Сколько is generally "how much":
    Сколько сейчас времени? Lit. How much time is it now?
    Сколько вы прожили в Англии? How long time...

Столько is "so much":
    Ты прожил в Англии столько времени, и до сих пор не выучил английский. You have been lived in England so long time, but...

Насколько is "for how much"; настолько is "so much":
    Настолько..., насколько - as much as:
    Она настолько же красива, насколько глупа. She is as much beautiful, as she is stupid.
    Он настолько устал, что сразу лег спать. He got tired so much, that...

In other words, in most cases сколько is used when we want to know "how much", and только is used when we already know "how much":
    - Сколько тебе лет?
    - Вот столько (shows 5 fingers).
    However сколько can be also used in so to say rhetorical constructions, when the question "how much" is just presumed or when the answer is not waited:
    Сколько раз я тебе говорил этого не делать!
    Сколько я ее ни уговаривал, она не соглашалась.

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    Roughly:

скольно = how much/many
    столько = this much/many
    насколько = how (adverbial "to what extent")
    настолько = this/that/so (adverbial "to this/that/a large extent")
    на сколько = by how much/many
    на столько = by this much/many

EDIT: I realized that I made some errors and have amended them above.

Last edited:

rainynights

English - UK
    Thank you guys

So:

1) using насколько just by itself, could I say something like насколько секунд он побил рекорд? - By how many seconds did he beat the record?

2)Can someone explain how to use еще столько же?

3) Can I use настолько to just replace достаточно? so, Он ее не любил настолько, чтобы... - He didn't love her enough to...

Maroseika

Russian
    1) using насколько just by itself, could I say something like насколько секунд он побил рекорд? - By how many seconds did he beat the record?
    Unfortunately not. Насколько and на сколько are different things, and in the present case you need the latter. Adverb насколько mostly means "how", "how much", and preposition на with adverb сколько mean "how much", "how much more" :
    Насколько быстро он бегает?
    Очень быстро, быстрее всех.
    Or:
    Насколько быстро он пробежал?
    За 15 секунд.
    But:
    На сколько секунд он побил рекорд?
    На 6 секунд.
    Or:
    На сколько быстрее он пробежал сегодня?
    На две минуты.

- Мы вам продали три машины. Сколько еще вам надо?
    - Еще столько же (то есть еще три).
    3) Can I use настолько to just replace достаточно? so, Он ее не любил настолько, чтобы... - He didn't love her enough to...
    Without the ending of the phrase it's hard to say whether it is possible or not. For example:
    Он ненавидел ее достаточно для того, чтобы убить.
    Он ненавидел ее настолько, что готов был убить.
    As you can see, настолько and достаточно are not interchangeable, because the structure of two phrases is a bit different (что vs чтобы).

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    Thank you guys

So:

1) No, you can't. Насколько is an adverb. And in your example сколько is a interrogative pronoun. So you should separte it from the preposition на. На сколько секунд он побил рекорд?
    If you ask a person in order to get the infromation for comparison with other information, for example, with other results, you should use "на сколько". And the answer will be something like "намного, на две секунды, на шесть раз" and so on. If you just ask to get the information without purposes of comparison you should use насколько.

2) be equivalent to, as many/much as

3) It depends on the situation. Sometimes you can replace, sometimes you can't. In your example above you can. But you can't replace it, for example, in the sentence "That's enough for me". You won't be understood if you say "Это для меня настолько".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >