так-то

jos.dan

Spanish
Всем привет
I have yet another question about Russian. I hope I'm not asking too much :)
Anyway, how would you translate так-то into English? Here you have the sentence where I first read it

Так-то конструкции на английском стараюсь соблюдать, но иногда использую переводчик,если слово не помню...

Honestly, I have no idea how to translate this phrase, but my attempt is

I always try to comply with the rules of English constructions, but sometimes I use the translator, if I don't remember a word

The English sentence might itself be wrong :D

But anyway, how would you translate the phrase in this particular case? Thanks a lot in advance

• Awwal12

Russian
    Та́к-то:
    1. (in adverbial role) "normally", "usually", "by default", "generally" - as opposed to some other situation; ~"actually" - when describing the facts in a contrastive manner (like the facts going against some normally unexpected outcome which happened or is going to happen); also "та́к", especially in the oral speech, where it cannot be mistaken with the unstressed emphatic "так".
    Та́к-то я не пью́, но́ друзья́ о́чень насто́йчиво предлага́ли.
    Та́к-то зада́ча была́ сло́жная, но́ я́ зна́л отве́т зара́нее.

2. (as a pro-sentence; independently or as a finishing generalizing phrase) "there we go"; "and so it goes" (to reinforce what was said before); "that's what you get for it"; etc. Also "вот та́к вот", "вот та́к-то вот", "вот та́к" etc.

jos.dan

Spanish
    Thanks for all the answers :) You've all been very helpful

2. (as a pro-sentence; independently or as a finishing generalizing phrase) "there we go"; "and so it goes" (to reinforce what was said before)
    I think this explains most of the examples I found in ReversoContext.

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    I think this explains most of the examples I found in ReversoContext.
    Some are the case. A lot of other examples are simply так + emphatic -то ("не так-то много", "не так-то хорошо" etc.), which are pretty much equal to "так" (pro-adverb "so"), "так уж".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >