увидел / видел

< Previous | Next >

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
Последний раз я увидел / видел его месяц назад. In that point what is right?

I would choose увидел because:

увидел is perfective and it happened one time "Последний раз" (there are not many last times).

видел is perfective and it happened many times. Когда он был в Москве, я видел его каждое утро.

But I am afraid... I am not right...

• HotIcyDonut

Russian - Russia
    No worries, you are right. The 1st one should go with "увидел", the 2nd one should go with "видел".

But we sometimes colloquially use imperfective verbs instead of perfective verbs (but we never use perfective verbs instead of imperfective verbs). It might be strange but sounds like perfectly natural speech.

I don't see trouble if you use "видел" in your 1st sentence but don't use "увидел" for the 2nd one.

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    Yes, you are right that you are not right :).

The correct option "Последний раз я видел его месяц назад". Unfortunately, I have no idea why we do use the imperfective form here.

Maroseika

Russian
    Последний раз я видел его месяц назад - this is the most natural, although refers to the one-time action. I think the reason is that the very action видеть is continious by its nature. Quite the same way:
    Последний раз я говорил/общался/встречался с ним месяц назад.

Perfective verb may be used in some specific context, when you want to underline completeness of the action.

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    No worries, you are right. The 1st one should go with "увидел", the 2nd one should go with "видел".

But we sometimes colloquially use imperfective verbs instead of perfective verbs (but we never use perfective verbs instead of imperfective verbs). It might be grammatically dubious but sounds like perfectly natural speech.

I don't see trouble if you use "видел" in your 1st sentence but don't use "увидел" for the 2nd one.
    I am sorry for my doubts, but have you ever really heard the phrase "Последний раз я увидел его месяц назад"? :confused:

HotIcyDonut

Russian - Russia
    I am sorry for my doubts, but have you ever really heard the phrase "Последний раз я увидел его месяц назад"? :confused:
    From books:

"Дядя ошибся на пару дней: последний раз я увидел его во второй день следующей недели, когда садился на коня, чтобы присоединиться к охотничьей свите султана"

"Последний раз я увидел его в 1914 г., в августе, на бульваре Капюсин под вечер, в полутемках (уличные фонари из-за угровы бомбардировки были прикрыты абажурами"

"Потом - не больше половины и отдыхал через каждые пять - семь шагов. Последний раз я увидел его перед Новым годом. Угля было лишь на донышке"

I agree that most of us would say "видел" as we used to this long-established phrase "последний раз я видел его..." but "увидел" is also surely correct.

Vovan

Russian
    I agree with Vadim.

"В последний раз я увидел его месяц назад" can be used in some contexts. Note the preposition "в" which stresses the idea that it was for the last time (and probably, you won't see him again for some reason). You can also put "в последний раз" at the end of this sentence if you wish (which is not possible with "последний раз" without the preposition "в").

Rosett

Russian
    The problem is «последний раз», but without it the meaning would change to an almost directly opposite one.

Rosett

Russian
    "Последний раз" (there are not many last times).
    Actually, in Russian it could be many instances of «последний раз»:

«Из-за всего этого Кишинёв смахивает на пожилую женщину, решившую накраситься основательно в один из последних раз в жизни (ещё не в гробу, но уже около того – прим. сценариста).»

«May 29, 2017 · Спустя мгновения они в один из последних раз в своей школьной жизни выйдут на сцену актового зала Тазовской средней школы.»

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    I agree with Vadim.

"В последний раз я увидел его месяц назад" can be used in some contexts. Note the preposition "в" which stresses the idea that it was for the last time (and probably, you won't see him again for some reason). You can also put "в последний раз" at the end of this sentence if you wish (which is not possible with "последний раз" without the preposition "в").
    By the way, it may be a good idea. What if we use the imperfective form in the sentence "Последний раз я видел его месяц назад" because we somehow imply that there has been many times when we have seen somebody (imperfective action) and one of these times is "последний раз". On the other hand when we say "В последний раз" we indeed stress that it was really the last time and in this case we can use the perfective form "увидеть".

Just in case I would like to remark that it's just an idea, nothing else.

Sobakus

HotIcyDonut's book quotes demonstrate the difference very well: увидеть последний раз = "to see for the last time ever" (you're certain you will never see it again), видеть последний раз = "to last see" (you still might see it again). As usual, the perfective expresses a delimited stretch of time, while the imperfective expresses a non-delimited one.

Kalaus

Russian, Russia
    Последний раз я увидел / видел его месяц назад. In that point what is right?
    If all you want to say is that your most recent sighting of X was one month ago, you'd be better off with the imperfective: "Последний раз я видел его месяц назад." The use of perfective in this sentence would give the phrase a sense of finality (as if, e. g., you no longer expect to see that person), and my guess is it's not what you are implying. You second sentence is OK -- only imperfective can be used there. HTH.

< Previous | Next >