фейерверк vs салют

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
Всем привет)
What's the difference between these nouns? Somebody explained it to me, but I didn't completely understand it...

What I understood is that фейерверк refers to fireworks in general, while салют is specifically used for fireworks used in special occasions, like New Year or so.

заранее спасибо)

• jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
    салют - by the firing of cannons or guns, фейерверк - everything else.

I get it. Thanks a lot, @alex_s. So it makes sense that салют is what you see on New Year's Eve because the biggest and more spectacular fireworks are reserved for this day.

<...>
    Mod.: Reply to the deleted part of the post deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maroseika

Russian
    What I understood is that фейерверк refers to fireworks in general, while салют is specifically used for fireworks used in special occasions, like New Year or so.
    Formally speaking - yes, except that New Year is not such a special occasion. I'd say салют is what is used in such solemn occasions like V-Day and of the similar importance.
    But in the everyday speech and when referring to the fireworks of all kinds these words are often interchangeable: накупить к празднику салютов/фейерверков. I even think фейерверк is used rarer because of its length.