хожу vs иду

macdevster

USA, English
I'm going over places around town. Which would sound more natural in these cases...?

Я иду / хожу туда чтобы смотреть фильм.
Студенты идут / ходят туда чтобы учиться.
Мы идём / ходим туда, когда у нас серьёзно болит.

• RomanBoukreev

Russian
    All of these sounds natural.
    But иду/идут/идём sounds like someone might walk at one time, and хожу/ходят/ходим sounds like someone might walk several times or might walk permanent (or several months/ years) at the same place. Select the verb whatever how many times someone walks there.

Maroseika

Russian
    Depends on the character of the action:
    Студенты идут туда (now)...
    Студенты ходят туда (from time to time, regularaly)...

Awwal12

Russian
    As we recently discussed in a similar tread, "ходи́ть" is a "multidirectional" verb of movement, while "идти́" is "continuous" one. The first group of verbs depicts movement which doesn't have one specific destination or is iterative. The second group depicts movement as a continuous process with some destination in mind.

Since in all your examples the destination is set ("туда"), the activity described by "ходи́ть" is necessarily iterative, e.g.:
    "я́ хожу́ туда́, что́бы смотре́ть фи́льм" (~I go there habitually to watch the film over and over again)
    cf. also: "я́ хожу́ туда́, что́бы смотре́ть фи́льмы" ~("I go there habitually to watch films").
    (Note that "ходи́ть куда́-л." has a general side meaning "to visit sth", "to attend sth".)
    And if some singular destination is not specified, you may get an aimless or complex movement:
    "Я́ сейча́с хожу́ туда́-сю́да́ по ко́мнате."
    "Я́ сего́дня два́ часа́ ходи́л по магази́нам (= was doing shopping for two hours)."

On the other hand:
    "Я́ иду́ туда́, что́бы смотре́ть фи́льм" - "I am going there to watch the film." (Right at the moment - or while speaking about something scheduled for the future.)
    Студенты идут / ходят туда чтобы учиться.
    Pretty much "are going"/"go".
    Мы идём/ ходим туда, когда у нас серьёзно болит.
    Since "когда́" with the present tense basically means "вся́кий ра́з, когда́", there is no real pragmatic difference in this context.
    While "хо́дим" may possibly mean some kind of double iterativity, it's not a necessary implication.

macdevster

USA, English
    Thanks to all who answered! Between my colleagues on here and some Russian speaking friends, I've sorted this out. Спасибо большое!

< Previous | Next >