число Эйлера (pronunciation)

< Previous | Next >

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
Всем привет!

Which is the correct or most common pronunciation of the mathematical constant "число Эйлера"?

In Forvo, I found two different pronunciations, depending on which syllable is stressed
Произношение число Эйлера: Как произносится число Эйлера (язык: русский)

число Э́йлера
число Эйле́ра

Maybe there isn't a standard pronunciation and both pronunciations are correct, since we're talking about a loanword

Заранее спасибо)

• Awwal12

Russian
    Actually, SvetaBerdaus also pronounces it with the first syllable stressed. It's her pronunciation of the second vowel which is weird; she almost doesn't reduce it, both in quality and in quantity, which may create an impression that it's stressed. Maybe by that she tries to pronounce the word "clearly" (a very widespread mistake on Forvo :)). Anyway, her pronunciation may be simply disregarded.

If anything, I cannot imagine that somebody would actually pronounce it with the stress falling on the second (and not the first) syllable.

Last edited:

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
    Ah, that actually crossed my mind for a second! It often happens to me that I hear another syllable being stressed than the one that should be stressed in theory. You're right, it often happens in Forvo. I didn't realize it was because people were trying to pronounce the words as clearly as possible. It makes sense.

Thanks a lot, Awwal12 :)

< Previous | Next >