шлея под мантию попала

Here's another idiomatic phrase that I can't get the meaning of. An example of a sentence containing the phrase is the following:

вот если искать в нелепых телодвижениях российских властей хоть какой-то смысл, какую-то последовательность, а не просто шлея под мантию попала

In this case again, a Google search yields a lot of examples, but I couldn't find a dictionary containing it.
Regards,
bostjanv

• vox05

Russia, Russian
    Here's another idiomatic phrase that I can't get the meaning of. An example of a sentence containing the phrase is the following:

вот если искать в нелепых телодвижениях российских властей хоть какой-то смысл, какую-то последовательность, а не просто шлея под мантию попалаv
    "шлея под хвост попала" - when someone acts in a weird way, like a horse with a part of harness stuck under its tail.

Q-cumber

Another "pearl" by "Эхо Москвы", heh? :)

The original idiom is: "Шлея <a breech band> под хвост попала".
    Alternative: Вожжа <a rein> под хвост попала".

The variation with "мантия" is occasionally used by people pretending to be "too gentlemanlike to directly imply a horse's backside". :)

Whichever variant is used, it refers to a behaviour of an annoyed or angry person.

Q-cumber

You may wonder but this variant - with мантия - is not so rare. Google yourself.
    I did't say it was rare. Like many other funny occasionalisms it had been repeatedly reiterated and became wide-spread. As an occasionalism is was amusing, but as a "modified idiom" it's just boring.

Slavianophil

Russian
    If my memory serves me well, it was used in the beautiful Soviet film "Обыкновенное чудо". There is one character there - a silly and cantankerous king who uses it when when speaking about himself - "Мне попала шлея под мантию".

He meant that he had a whim and was going to act on this whim no matter how much mischief he would make.

Q-cumber

If my memory serves me well, it was used in the beautiful Soviet film "Обыкновенное чудо". There is one character there - a silly and cantankerous king who uses it when when speaking about himself - "Мне попала шлея под мантию".
    Absolutely! Now I recollect the king's words:

- Не позволю!
    - Почему?
    - Мне попала вожжа под мантию.

< Previous | Next >