это самое, того-сего

< Previous | Next >

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
Hello,

Would anybody be able to explain the meaning of "нам интересно было, что там эта Света, это самое, того-сего" in the text below? The text is from this link: Эксперимент над школьницами СССР: результаты шокировали - Страница 8 из 15 - NiceMe

"Но потом как-то перестали общаться с мальчиками — почему, не понятно, видимо, женская школа все-таки накладывала отпечаток. А в 10 классе одна из наших одноклассниц родила. И мы, естественно, шушукались, нам интересно было, что там эта Света, это самое, того-сего, а Нина Михайловна, классная дама, пришла с букетом тюльпанов и торжественно сказала: «Девочки, я вас поздравляю, это наша первая мама!»"

• GCRaistlin

Russian
    Имеется в виду - как это так случилось, и с кем, и когда, а с виду и не скажешь - такая скромница, и т. п.

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    "Это самое" and "того-сего" here are just fillers, you could ignore them.

We were wondering how it had happened with Sveta.

vgiv

Russian
    "Это самое" and "того-сего" here are just fillers, you could ignore them.
    Vadim K, not exactly, to my mind. It is a kind of aposiopesis. The girls wanted to ask something like "We were wondering how Sveta had sex with that guy", but scrupled.

So the proper translation is something like

We were wondering how THIS THING had happened with Sveta.

Last edited:

nizzebro

Russian
    что там эта Света (e.g. делала), = the verb is omitted;
    это самое, = "well, you know, ..." and a kind of whatchamacallit;
    того-сего = то да сё = this and that (extremely colloquial)

Last edited:

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    что там эта Света (e.g. делала), = the verb is omitted;
    это самое, = "well, you know, ..." and a kind of whatchamacallit;
    того-сего = то да сё = this and that (extremely colloquial)
    Thanks so much. So a verb after "что там эта Света" has been omitted and replaced with "это самое, того-сего" to avoid expressing the sentence too directly?

Maroseika

Russian
    So a verb after "что там эта Света" has been omitted and replaced with "это самое, того-сего" to avoid expressing the sentence too directly?
    Yes, too directly (if it is indecent, for example) or too definetely (if the speaker doesn't want seeking out precise word).

nizzebro

Russian
    and replaced with "это самое, того-сего"
    I personally understand it as a enumeration of samples of what the girls were interested in, consisting of 3 separate undeveloped predicates - because of commas used, not ellipses, but it does not really matter if it is all about the same verb or about the same topic.

Last edited:

hopeItSoundsGood

Russian
    Thanks so much. So a verb after "что там эта Света" has been omitted and replaced with "это самое, того-сего" to avoid expressing the sentence too directly?
    If I were not a native Russian speaker I would most definitely get discombobulated by the majority of replies here, all that linguistic terminology is totally useless unless you hold a degree in linguistics.

In simple terms, it's a somewhat old-fashioned (Soviet) and in my opinion, pretty cringey way to say "how come she got pregnant". "это самое, того-сего" doesn't imply anything actually, it's just a bunch of awkward filter words hacked together that start making sense in a certain context only.

It's like when you're terribly afraid to pronounce the word "sex", you want to avoid using it at all costs so you start yielding some rubbish that doesn't make any sense but people will understand what you want to say cos they know the context.

< Previous | Next >