—explaining why

< Previous | Next >

Jian Cho

Banned
Chinese
Hi. I was reading an article about China-USA-North Korea relations and there is something I don't understand.
China, in turn, declares that America is disingenuous to say that its dearest wish is a nuclear-free Korean peninsula, when in truth it is most worried about American national security—explaining why successive presidents from George H.W. Bush onwards have focused not just on the Kim dynasty’s pursuit of nuclear weapons, but on its development of missiles that could carry those weapons to American soil.

Article: https://www.economist.com/news/unit...th-korea-has-brought-america-and-china-closer
Does the bolded part mean "...and this has made apparent why..." or "...and with this China has also explained why..."?

• Jian Cho

Banned
    Chinese
    Okay but here is the thing. Why is that explained NOW? Like, didn't anybody think about this before? Now that China said that America is worried about national security, it is suddenly explained why American presidents have focused on this. "-explaining why" or "which explains why" sounds to me like this was a mystery to the author, and he has now just realized the reason behind presidents doing whatever it was they were doing.

"...when in truth, America is most worried about its national security. This explains why successive presidents from George H.W. Bush onwards..."

Like, doesn't this sound like the author has just realized the reason behind why the presidents did that? It's like "Aha! This is why!" And of course, there is no way the author didn't know that this was the reason. So why say something like this? Do I even make some semblance of sense or am I just spouting nonsense?

lingobingo

English - England
    This is not about what the author thinks. The whole sentence — which is not well written! — is a report of what China says about America (what America says about China having been explained in the previous para).

Here's a gentle paraphrase:
    China, in turn, declares that America is disingenuous to say that its dearest wish is a nuclear-free Korean peninsula,
    when in truth America is most worried about its own national security—as is evidenced by the fact that successive presidents from George H.W. Bush onwards have focused not just on the Kim dynasty’s pursuit of nuclear weapons, but on its development of missiles that could carry those weapons to American soil.

Jian Cho

Banned
    Chinese
    when in truth America is most worried about its own national security—as is evidenced by the fact that successive presidents from George H.W. Bush onwards
    Well, now it makes sense. I wish the author had put it clearly like this. Then I would have had no problems with the sentence.

< Previous | Next >