‘Perhaps <she’ll> float off into space altogether

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 105, Chapter 7) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background:There were some people in Wragby, talking meanlessly. Oliver said in the future
babies would be bred in bottles, and that women woldn't get pregnant by men, which she thought would be good. Then Winterslow asked her attitude to being immunized. Oliver said……)

‘I hope I(Oliver) am; naturally,’ she said. ‘Anyhow the future’s going to have more sense, and a woman needn’t be dragged down by her functions.’

Perhaps she’ll float off into space altogether,’ said Dukes.

‘I do think sufficient civilization ought to eliminate a lot of the physical disabilities,’ said Clifford.

I feel she in the red sentence refers to all the women because of the word altogether(=all together).

Is that right please?
Thank you in advance

• se16teddy

English - England
    "A woman" refers to all women, and "she" means the same thing.

But "altogether" is irrelevant to this. It means she will not only be dragged down: it will go beyond that to the point where she is completely weightless: she will float away in the outer space.
    Duke's sarcastic metaphor is not intended to say anything very precise, just to be humorous.

longxianchen

chinese
    But how can a woman be completely weightless and then float away in the outer space after she's dragged down(=exhaused)?
    I think only after a woman die, can her soul, which is weightless, float away in the outer space. But it's dragged down(=exhaused), not die.:)

se16teddy

English - England
    In the future she will no longer be dragged down (pulled towards the centre of the earth against her wishes, in a way that makes it impossible for her to achieve her aspirations). She may float away from the earth instead. The implication is that this may also be undesirable.

< Previous | Next >