‘some country’ attack

< Previous | Next >

gayyyyk

Russian
Hello. If we see in the news ‘Saudi (some country) attack’ it means attack on Saudi, but could the opposite be true (possibly)? ‘Attack by Saudi’ ?

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Please give an actual example, with a complete sentence. It is not really possible to comment based on so little (i.e. no) context.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes. ‘Saudi attack’ is [noun1 + noun2] which means noun2 associated in some way with noun1.
    Crossposted.

gayyyyk

Russian
    Yes. ‘Saudi attack’ is [noun1 + noun2] which means noun2 associated in some way with noun1.
    Crossposted.
    I see, so can it mean ‘attack carried by Saudi’ ? Given just two words with no additional context ?

gayyyyk

Russian
    Please give an actual example, with a complete sentence. It is not really possible to comment based on so little (i.e. no) context.
    I am sorry, but I am not able to provide context. I am just curious to know whether it is possible to understand differently ?

Loob

English UK
    Yes, without context, "x attack" can mean both "attack on x" and "attack by x".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Given just two words with no additional context ?
    And this is the most important lesson in English: "The importance of context cannot be overstated."
    If I say "The set is full", it can have at least 300 different meanings, without context.

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Just to satisfy some of the members here: I just yesterday saw a news headline with exactly that little context "Saudi attack" followed by something irrelevant (like "Saudi attack destabilizes region"). It was unclear by the headline if it referred to a recent attack on Saudi Arabia or if it was an even more recent response (attack) by the country.

I think that may have been what the poster may have referred to, and I too was confused.

< Previous | Next >