‘Welcome’and Britain’s ‘Overall Nation Brand’

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, I am working on a file for VisitBritain, and need to know if ‘Welcome’and Britain’s ‘Overall Nation Brand’ are just categories or campaigns or what?

A new study commissioned by VisitBritain and its partners in the GREAT campaign(1) suggests that global perceptions of ‘Welcome’, Britain’s ‘Overall Nation Brand’ and the UK’s sporting and cultural credentials have significantly improved thanks to the hosting of the London 2012 Games.

Source: http://www.travelpulse.com/visitbritain-study-shows-positive-tourism-impact-from-olympics.html

Thank you

• dadane

English (London/Essex)
    To me, they read as categories in some kind of poll. I have no idea what the GREAT campaign is! Strikes me as language used to make nothing seem like an interesting "news" piece.

translation lover

Arabic
    The Great campaign consists of several stories you can find the articles in the Visit Britain website: Sport is great, Counrtyside is great, Shopping is great, 13 GREAT stories for 2013, 10 Great British Views.
    I know this because I am translating the website but I didn't encounter ‘Welcome’and Britain’s ‘Overall Nation Brand’ and "People" yet and I don't know if they are categories.

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    Okay. They have commissioned a study. I can go down the pub ask a couple of opinions and claim it as a "study". It is a way of justifying a statement by adding authority to it. In this case I don't see why that is necessary because the facts speak for themselves, but I guess that's why I'll never get a job in advertising. ;)

I think it's safest to steer clear of it.

< Previous | Next >