“”taste best" or "taste the best"? Which one is right?

KloKloKlo

chinese
When I try to express that some food is really delicious, which one should I use?" XX taste best!" or "XX taste the best"?
Thanks!

• memagill

Banned
    Texan with a lot of Scot
    either...to me "this tastes the best" sounds more natural. But, normally it would be with a qualification like "that was good but this tastes better"

KloKloKlo

chinese
    either...to me "this tastes the best" sounds more natural. But, normally it would be with a qualification like "that was good but this tastes better"
    Thx! I read this sentence in a book, it says" This solution will taste the best". It really confused me, because my teacher told me that we don't need "the" in front of "a superlative adjective" when it is used as "predicative", for example: They are happiest on Saturdays.

Jennee0629

English - United States
    In your example Klokloklo, it does NOT need the -s because it is future tense. "This WILL taste the best." I think you "don't need" the word the. That means you MAY use it, or you MAY leave it out.

When are you the happiest? On Saturdays.
    When are you happiest? On Saturdays.

KloKloKlo

chinese
    In your example Klokloklo, it does NOT need the -s because it is future tense. "This WILL taste the best." I think you "don't need" the word the. That means you MAY use it, or you MAY leave it out.

When are you the happiest? On Saturdays.
    When are you happiest? On Saturdays.
    Thank you! So are "This will taste the best" and "This will taste best" both grammatical right?
    And The sentences you wrote" When are you the happiest?" and "When are you happiest?", they have the same meaning, right?

Barque

Tamil
    In your example Klokloklo, it does NOT need the -s because it is future tense.
    Why do you think it's future tense? The OP's example refers to a comment made about food that he/she's eating at the time.
    When I try to express that some food is really delicious, which one should I use?" XX taste best!" or "XX taste the best"?

And The sentences you wrote" When are you the happiest?" and "When are you happiest?", they have the same meaning, right?
    Yes.

Barque

Tamil
    I noticed that but assumed it was a different sentence. The reference to a solution sounds odd to me in any case. KloKloKlo, are you sure the sentence referred to a solution? That isn't a word usually used for something you're going to drink.

KloKloKlo

chinese
    Why do you think it's future tense? The OP's example refers to a comment made about food that he/she's eating at the time.

Yes.
    Thank you! Barque, I get it now! I will add "s" in simple present tense!! I won't forget it again!

KloKloKlo

chinese
    I noticed that but assumed it was a different sentence. The reference to a solution sounds odd to me in any case. KloKloKlo, are you sure the sentence referred to a solution? That isn't a word usually used for something you're going to drink.
    yes!The title of the story is "Mix it up", it says what it will happen when you mix different things with water.

< Previous | Next >