“...what is there.” or “...what there is.”

LastLight

German
So I saw this sentence under the definition of the the word “explorer” in macmillians dictionary
“Someone who travels to a place that other people do not know much about in order to find out what is there.”
Shouldn’t the word order at the end be different?I thought the way its written would indicate a question which it is not and I thought in non questions the order is reversed
“Someone who travels to a place that other people do not know much about in order to find out what there is.”
Now granted in this case “what is there.” “sounds better” but if it was “you” instead of “there” and “are instead of “is” it would sound wrong with the sentences word order; as if you were asking a question.
But I assume that these entries were written by people versed in English so maybe my memory is faulty and reversing is not needed.

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    I think what is giving you difficulty here is that you are using the wrong definition of "there".

In the construction ending "...what there is", "there" is a pronoun (see defintion #6 in the WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English), but with "...what is there", "there" is a noun or adverb, and means "at/in that place or point".

< Previous | Next >