“As per” in informal language

< Previous | Next >

Annake

Polish
Hi,

Everywhere I’ve checked, “as per” has a formal/business use (although some people say it’s actually grammatically incorrect).

Either way, to my non-native ear, it sounds ok to say “should we do xxx as per the original plan”. Or “I’m hoping to go to xxx for Christmas, as per my mum’s plans”

Do these sentences sound ok to you? To me “in accordance with the plan” sounds more formal, even though it’s supposed to be the other way around from what I’ve read? What other word would you use (without completely restructuring the sentence) instead of “as per”?

Thanks!

• srk

English - US
    What other word would you use
    Other than "in accordance with," I wouldn't use (or even look for) any other similar form. I wouldn't use "as per" either.
    “should we do xxx as per the original plan”
    "Should we do xxx in the way we originally planned?"
    "Should we do xxx in the way the original plan says to?

If you type "as per" into the search box at the top of the forum page, click on one of the icons next to the box, and scroll to the bottom of the page that comes up, you'll find other threads on this subject.

Welcome to the forum!

lingobingo

English - England
    It’s fine to use “as per” to mean “in accordance with”, but your second example is not idiomatic.

And it’s worth noting that “as per usual” is often used instead of just “as usual”. It even gets abbreviated to “as per” in casual speech.

pops91710

English, AE
    as lingobingo points out, as per is acceptable and not incorrect. It is usually used in business or legal communications and not in casual conversation unless you enjoy trying to impress people.:D

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Annake, welcome to the forum!

"Per" is a Latin word. It has a few uses that are common in English, but can only be used in those phrases. All of them are Latin uses of "per". The WR dictionary lists 3 uses in American English (AE), so those are definitely correct). per - WordReference.com Dictionary of English).

One of those is using either "as per" or "per" to mean "according to" (a plan). This is correct, and can be used anywhere. It sounds a little awkward to us because it is a Latin word and we use it in a way that is not normal English grammar:

For example:
    Per the plan... :tick:
    As per the plan...:tick:
    As says the plan...:confused: (We say "As the plan says, ...")
    As states the plan...:confused:(We say "As the plan states, ...")

Uncle Jack

British English
    I often use "as per" in ordinary English when speaking to people I know will understand it. At work, I have to use "in accordance with" in written instructions, because I cannot expect all the readers to know what "as per" means, as well as there being a general desire to avoid foreign terms in written instructions, to make the meaning clearer. I doubt I would ever use "in accordance with" in ordinary conversation.

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Somewhere along the way I was taught that "per" is correct and "as per" is not. I use both "per" and "in accordance with", but when writing the latter I always abbreviate it to "IAW".

< Previous | Next >