“get along and go along”

observant

Persian/Farsi
What does “get along and go along” mean in this sentence:

"At the same time it is not that the passivity, the “get along and go along” quality of wallpaper, textiles, and screens necessarily excludes them from being looked at similarly to how we look at paintings."

Thanks in advance.

• JamesM

"Get along" would be compatible or companionable. "My cat and dog get along fine together."

"Go along" is cooperative or complacent. "He'll go along with whatever we decide."

I don't think I've seen them combined before but they make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

memonhisam

English
    They are used combined as well dear JamesM, but I was also confused, it needs more clarity, if any one does

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    They are combined in a familiar expression, but not this way; it's said that in some situations (or groups, or companies), "To get along, you've got to go along"—i.e., to be comfortable/accepted in that milieu, you must bow to the prevailing rules (or customs, whatever). I can't imagine how this might apply to the relationships among wallpaper, textiles, and screens.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I think Parla's definition is right, but the original sentence opposes get-along-go-along textiles, wallpaper and screen, of whom we demand that they fit in with our decor, wih high-art paintings. We don't pick the latter (so the author claims) for their compatibility with our furniture, wallpaper and such.

< Previous | Next >