“His inner mind, reaching out to turn the corner for him”

yoshuag11

Spanish - México
Hi,

I'm really confused on the meaning of "reach out" in the phrase:

“His inner mind, reaching out to turn the corner for him,...”

Excerpt From: Bradbury, Ray (1920-2012). “Fahrenheit 451 (& Activity).”

Does it means that his mind turned for him (in a figurative sense)?

Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    You should give us the complete sentence and up to three additional sentences, if that will help us understand the context. If you need to elaborate, you can describe the situation in your own words:

“He had felt that a moment before his making the turn, someone had been there.
    Each time he made the turn, he saw only the white, unused, buckling sidewalk, with perhaps, on one night, something vanishing swiftly across a lawn before he could focus his eyes or speak.
    But now, tonight, he slowed almost to a stop. His inner mind, reaching out to turn the corner for him, had heard the faintest whisper."

Source: Fahrenheit 451

His mind is imagining the turn and what he will find, before his body actually makes the turn.

yoshuag11

Spanish - México
    Hope this excerpt will be enough:
    “... .Each time he made the turn, he saw only the white, unused, buckling sidewalk, with perhaps, on one night, something vanishing swiftly across a lawn before he could focus his eyes or speak. But now, tonight, he slowed almost to a stop. His inner mind, reaching out to turn the corner for him, had heard the faintest whisper. Breathing? Or was the atmosphere compressed merely by...”

Excerpt From: Bradbury, Ray (1920-2012). “Fahrenheit 451 (& Activity).” iBooks.

yoshuag11

Spanish - México
    You should give us the complete sentence and up to three additional sentences, if that will help us understand the context. If you need to elaborate, you can describe the situation in your own words:

“He had felt that a moment before his making the turn, someone had been there.
    Each time he made the turn, he saw only the white, unused, buckling sidewalk, with perhaps, on one night, something vanishing swiftly across a lawn before he could focus his eyes or speak.
    But now, tonight, he slowed almost to a stop. His inner mind, reaching out to turn the corner for him, had heard the faintest whisper."

Source: Fahrenheit 451

His mind is imagining the turn and what he will find, before his body actually makes the turn.
    Sorry, didn't see you had already put in the complete excerpt (kinda).

Still I'm not sure about the meaning of reach out (in the above context), to say that one's mind reach out, means that someone is imagining something? If that's the case, would it have the same meaning if I change it for "He was imaging that he turned the corner.." ?

Copyright

American English
    Please see the last sentence of post 2 – if that doesn't answer your question, you can tell us what is still unclear.

Copyright

American English
    Well, you have to imagine the mind moving ahead of the body, leaving it behind while it goes around the corner first. His thoughts are projecting themselves ahead of his body.

yoshuag11

Spanish - México
    Well, you have to imagine the mind moving ahead of the body, leaving it behind while it goes around the corner first. His thoughts are projecting themselves ahead of his body.
    Hi, I get the idea of what you are explaining me, but I would like something more specific, that may help me next time I face this situation.

With that said, please could you help me to:
    * Re-write the phrase using other verb (a synonym), for instance: "my brother visited me yesterday" for "my brother came by yesterday"
    * From these definitions "reach", which of them suits better?

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >