“I already have them I bought them from another shop"-wrong?

objectivereason

korean
Hi everyone. I’m a student, an English learner.

“I know that Schweser Notes are actually more useful, but I already have them I bought from another shop.”

It is my sentence.

My teacher, an American native speaker, said my sentence is wrong.

The teacher said “I already have them which I bought from another shop” or “I already have them I bought them from another shop” are right. However my teach couldn’t grammatically explain it.

However I think if “I already have them which I bought from another shop” is right, “I already have them I bought from another shop” is also right because “which” is a relative pronoun as an object of the relative clause and we can omit the relative pronoun as an object.

What do you think about it? Please help me!

• Copyright

American English
    Your original sentence can be helped with a period:
    “I know that Schweser Notes are actually more useful, but I already have them. I bought them from another shop.”

As for your native English speaker's sentence – “I already have them which I bought them from another shop” – it's simply wrong.

What I would write:
    “I know that Schweser Notes are actually more useful, but I already have Cliff Notes that I bought from another shop.”

I have added Cliff Notes because you're making a comparison with the phrase "are actually more useful" – the reader will be wondering "more useful than what?"

If you're in a store and someone is trying to sell you Schweser Notes and you already have them, you can say this:
    "I know that Schweser Notes are good, but I already have them – I bought them from another shop."

objectivereason

korean
    thank you for an outstanding answer! I admire you!

Your original sentence can be helped with a period:
    “I know that Schweser Notes are actually more useful, but I already have them. I bought them from another shop.”

As for your native English speaker's sentence – “I already have them which I bought them from another shop” – it's simply wrong.

What I would write:
    “I know that Schweser Notes are actually more useful, but I already have Cliff Notes that I bought from another shop.”

I have added Cliff Notes because you're making a comparison with the phrase "are actually more useful" – the reader will be wondering "more useful than what?"

If you're in a store and someone is trying to sell you Schweser Notes and you already have them, you can say this:
    "I know that Schweser Notes are good, but I already have them – I bought them from another shop."

< Previous | Next >