“I had three cars in total”

< Previous | Next >

Hiden

japanese
Can “I had three cars in total” imply that the speaker MAY have one or two now?

• Hiden

japanese
    My question was if "I had three cars", on its own, can imply depending on contexst that the speakers may own more than 3, less than 3, or 3 cars.

Hiden

japanese
    Then it is the context that implies it, not your sentence.
    If you fix the context, then the asnwers lose thier scope. So I intentinaly left out the context so that I could garner all possible meanings/interpretations (i,.e. scope). I believe this would only be possible in the absence of context as then there could be probably only one meaning.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    Your context-free sentence implies nothing. It is pointless to try to discuss the meaning of an isolated sentence with no context. All that it means is that, in the past, you were the owner of three cars. It says absolutely nothing about the present, distant past, or future.

Hiden

japanese
    Your context-free sentence implies nothing. It is pointless to try to discuss the meaning of an isolated sentence with no context. All that it means is that, in the past, you were the owner of three cars. It says absolutely nothing about the present, distant past, or future.
    Thank you for your asnwer. Then, it means that it implies that the speaker MAY have more then three or less then three.

Andygc

British English
    No. It implies absolutely nothing. It is a statement about the past. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hiden

japanese
    Could you let me ask just one more question? How about "I HAVE HAD three cars before"? Can it imply that the speaker may have more than three or less then three?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >