“Is John ill? He’s lost weight.”, “<Yes> he is rather slender...."

lucretius

Polish
Topic: “Is John ill? He’s lost a lot of weight.”, “Yes, he is rather...
Added by Cagey, moderator

I am supposed to correct this dialogue, but I'm not sure where the mistake is. Is the question tag used incorrectly or rather saying "yes" to refer to being slender instead of being ill (the question was about being ill, not slender).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    There's nothing actually wrong with it. What I think they mean is that 'slender' has the wrong tone. It means 'thin' (the most general word), but it's a good thing: a slender person isn't too fat, and is probably healthy. We use 'thin' if someone is thin because of illness.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I can't see anything wrong with it either1. Where is the example taken from?

1 Perhaps the person who set the question thinks that "slender" (potentially positive) would be better as "thin" (potentially negative), but I do not agree as "slender" can be used to indicate that the speaker does not think that the loss of weight makes John look as if he were ill.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I agree that there is no problem at all in the dialogue as Lucretius has posted it. Questions about whether "slender" adopts exactly the right nuance of tone would require a variety of assumptions that are well outside the scope of this problem.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Please put the quotation directly in your question. It's easier to look at and study and also it's one of the forum rules.:) Thanks.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I agree that the only possible "mistake" is using slender instead of thin. But I do think thin makes a much better fit.

< Previous | Next >