“It’s a thing out there,” Voytek says, “which is weird"

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does “It’s a thing out there,” Voytek says, “which is weird" mean Voytek says: "it is a weird thing out there"?

Thanks in advance

Online discussion boards about graduate admissions have invoked Voytek’s name to show that it’s possible to enter a Ph.D. program—he went to the University of California, Berkeley—with a subpar transcript. One even asks: “Is the neuroscientist Bradley Voytek a real or fictional person?”

“It’s a thing out there,” Voytek says, “which is weird, to have something that was so terrifying and shameful to me as an undergrad be this motivator for so many people out there now.

-Scientific American

Source

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No, he means
    Voytek says “It1’s a thing out there2, and, to me, it3 is weird, to have something that was so terrifying and shameful to me as an undergrad be this motivator for so many people out there now.

1the concept of the character Bradley Voytek
    2 in the public domain
    3 the feeling

suzi br

English / England
    No, he means
    Voytek says “It1’s a thing out there2, and, to me, it3 is weird, to have something that was so terrifying and shameful to me as an undergrad be this motivator for so many people out there now.

2 in the public domain
    3 the feeling
    :tick:

Tidy work, sir.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    No, he means

2 in the public domain
    3 the feeling
    :thumbsup::)

Thanks to you all.

< Previous | Next >