“It’s too far away, so that’s gone,”

< Previous | Next >
  • Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hello, gimhee. :)

I'm not really sure what it means, either. It sounds dismissive, so I would say that it is probably along the lines of "The finish line is so far away that it's not useful to think about it."

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I agree with Nunty that it's an unusual way to use "gone"—I've never heard it with that meaning.
    But I can imagine that it's derived as follows:
    If someone was here earlier, but has gone away, we might say "He's gone"—meaning "He is not here; he is absent."
    If "gone" means "absent", then your speaker can use it to mean "that's absent [from my thoughts]".
    This may be a new slang expression, and I will listen for it in the future,
    but until I hear it again, I will recommend that you not imitate it.

I agree with Nunty that it's an unusual way to use "gone"—I've never heard it with that meaning.
    But I can imagine that it's derived as follows:
    If someone was here earlier, but has gone away, we might say "He's gone"—meaning "He is not here; he is absent."
    If "gone" means "absent", then your speaker can use it to mean "that's absent [from my thoughts]".
    This may be a new slang expression, and I will listen for it in the future,
    but until I hear it again, I will recommend that you not imitate it.
    I agree, a very awkward sentence. I can only guess at "so that kind of thought is already gone from my/a person's head." We certain have "get a/that thought out of your head" as a fairly common idiom

< Previous | Next >