“move away from" and "move in the opposite direction from"

wulizhizhi

Chinese-southern china
"The car moves away from the park"
"The car moves in the opposite direction from the park"
which is the correct expression? is there any difference?

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Moving away means simply going away from a place-- it may be in any direction. Moving in the opposite direction means, you know, going away in only the opposite direction. But the opposite direction for a park seems odd. You can say two vehicles are moving in opposite directions -- one to the left of X and the other to the right of X.
    I hope some native speaker explains it better.

wulizhizhi

Chinese-southern china
    Moving away means simply going away from a place-- it may be in any direction. Moving in the opposite direction means, you know, going away in only the opposite direction. But the opposite direction for a park seems odd. You can say two vehicles are moving in opposite directions -- one to the left of X and the other to the right of X.
    I hope some native speaker explains it better.
    :) thank u, so "opposite to the direction from park" is incorrect? i didn't use "for":confused:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "The car moves away from the park"
    "The car moves in the opposite direction from the park"
    which is the correct expression? is there any difference?
    The "opposite" sentence says that the car moves one way and the park moves the other way.

The problem is that "away from the park" has a well-known meaning but "the opposite direction from the park" does not have a clear meaning.

To use "opposite direction", first say something meaning "in the direction of the park", then apply "opposite".

"She started driving toward the park, then turned and went the opposite direction."

"Do you see where the park is from here? My house in the opposite direction".

wulizhizhi

Chinese-southern china
    The "opposite" sentence says that the car moves one way and the park moves the other way.

The problem is that "away from the park" has a well-known meaning but "the opposite direction from the park" does not have a clear meaning.

To use "opposite direction", first say something meaning "in the direction of the park", then apply "opposite".

"She started driving toward the park, then turned and went the opposite direction."

"Do you see where the park is from here? My house in the opposite direction".
    thank you for your clear answer, it is so useful!!!!!!:):):)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >