“The Battleship”—as I live and breathe!

Rolley

Hungary/Hungarian
Hello!

Two old friends are meeting after not seeing each other for a long time. One of them says this, in a high tone over the pleasant surprise. The other is a "shock jock", who is working at a radio station. Battleship may refer to the station, or the programme or I don't know.
Furthermore I cannot make a connection between the two parts of the sentence.
This is in Boston Legal, maybe some local references may play some part.

Thanks for any hint!

Last edited:
  • out2lnch

English-Canada
    I think this must come from the game 'Battleship' that was quite popular in North America anyway. The 'battleship' was the biggest ship that had to be sunk (Google the game; I'm sure there's a good description), so it took the most hits to sink. It suggests this person is important or is being mockingly called important or big etc.

Rolley

Hungary/Hungarian
    Do you really use it to a person?
    And what is the connection with "as I live and breathe"?
    The whole sentence then means: "you're great, and I like you very much"? Thinking of his performance at the radio?

Forero

Perhaps the "shock jock"'s nickname is "the Battleship". "As I live and breathe!" is an expression of great surprise, especially for something hoped for. It may have something to do with the Italian expression "dum spiro, spero" (as I breathe, I hope), in other words, I never give up hoping as long as I live and breathe.

< Previous | Next >