“to go about a problem” vs “to tackle a problem”

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello, everyone:

“The Cassell Guide to Common Errors in English”, by Professor Harry Blamires, says that “to go about a problem” is nonstandard and that the correct expression is “to tackle a problem”. I would like to know what makes “to go about a problem” nonstandard.

Thanks a million

• Copyright

American English
    In my experience, we tackle problems or go about solving problems.

I see there only 197 results on Google and just 15 results on Google Books for go about a problem and it may be laziness that causes some people to drop the solving or some other suitable verb.

Copyright

American English
    You're welcome. My "laziness" theory is just a personal opinion, of course. :)

One of the results from Google books is from Effective Online Teaching: Foundations and Strategies for Student Success and has this: This belief creates stress and a narrow vision of how best to go about a problem. By contrast, ''persons who have a strong sense of efficacy, organize their attention and effort to the demands of the situation ..."

So obviously there is at least one educated person using it, but there were only 15 results, so I would probably avoid it ... in fact, I do avoid it. ;)

Last edited:

High on grammar

Farsi
    You're welcome. My "laziness" theory is just a personal opinion, of course. :)

One of the results from Google books is from Effective Online Teaching: Foundations and Strategies for Student Success and has this: This belief creates stress and a narrow vision of how best to go about a problem. By contrast, ''persons who have a strong sense of efficacy, organize their attention and effort to the demands of the situation ..."

So obviously there is at least one educated people using it, but there were only 15 results, so I would probably avoid it ... in fact, I do avoid it. ;)
    Thank you again Copyright

< Previous | Next >