“To Terminus build fanes!"

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
In Clarel, foreseeing a descent from the present “civic barbarism” to “ the Dark Ages of Democracy,” he portrayed his American pilgrims to the Holy Land as recognizing sadly that the time might come to honor the god of limitations in what had been the land of opportunity, a time when Americans might cry: “To Terminus build fanes! / Columbus ended earth’s romance: / No New World to mankind remains!”

Source: American Literature (1820-1865) ; National Sins

Hi,
I know that (Terminus) means:
1-The station or stop at the end of a railway or bus line.
2-Roman god presiding over landmarks and boundaries.

And

I know that (fane) means: temple, church (Archaic)

But in the text I have written it doesn’t make sense to me? What does the red sentence mean in the text?
The word (terminus) refers to which meaning? That's confusing to me. I even can't understand the total meaning of the sentence.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Build fanes to Terminus". Build temples to the god Terminus. The inversion is poetic, and enables the rhyme.

wandle

English - British
    the time might come to honor the god of limitations in what had been the land of opportunity, a time when Americans might cry: “To Terminus build fanes! / Columbus ended earth’s romance: / No New World to mankind remains!”
    Terminus
    2-Roman god presiding over landmarks and boundaries.
    'To Terminus build fanes!' means 'Build temples to Terminus!'

The word order is inverted for emphasis: it is to Terminus (no other god) that we must build temples.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Hello dear Velisarius. Thanks so much for your prompt answer.

Dear wandle, Thanks so much for answering.

Beryl, Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >