“Trend of number” is this in normal usage?

JerryLCC

Chinese
Hello, everyone,

Here, I have a sheet of report, and I would like to ask my students what they expect the "trend of each number"?

My sentence is: "Briefly explain how you feel about each number or how you expect the trend of each number "

I would like to know whether you can understand what i mean? or you may want to say "each number trend" instead of "trend of each number"?

Thank you

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think if it's clear the #1 = A, #2 = B, #3 = C, then you are close.

Perhaps "Briefly explain how you feel about each number or how you expect the trend of each number to be."

I would recommend you provide more context.

Last edited:

jambezi

USA, English
    Hi Jerry,

I personally have a hard time understanding what you mean here. In business, I'd suggest what trends do you see? Instead of trends of each number. If it's a business report, I'd refer to them colloquially as "the numbers". E.g. "How do you feel about the numbers [presented here] and what trends do you see?" But that's a specific example. Short answer to your question is no, I have a difficult time understanding your meaning.

Best,

Jam

JerryLCC

Chinese
    Hello, guys, my question is that I would like ask my student about the number (it's not relative with business report), what do they expect the trend of numbers? Either the number will increase or decrease?
    Moreover, I would like confirm with you that whether this phrase is correct "trend of numbers"

Thank you again

perpend

Banned
    American English
    You can't expect a trend of numbers, in my humble opinion. It would help if you reformulate your question. Thanks!

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    "the head of each lion" :)tick: because each lion has a head)
    "the trend of the stock market" :)tick: because the stock market is changing all the time)
    "the trend of each number" :)cross: because each number is fixed and so doesn't have a trend. We need "numbers" to form a trend). You may ask your students to find a trend from a group of "numbers" but not from "each number".

JerryLCC

Chinese
    OK, I'm kind of get your guys' point, how about "the trend of population"? whether this make more sense?

so my original question will be "Briefly explain how you feel about each number or how you expect the trend of population in each sentence"(since there are many sentences, and one or two numbers are in each sentence, and my question would ask them what they expect the amount of population would raise or drop)

Thank you for your guys help

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think I understand, but am not completely sure.

Briefly explain how you feel about each number or what you expect the population trend to be in each sentence.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    Teacher: "Briefly explain how you feel about each number."
    Student: "I don't like 4 because it sounds like 'dead' in Chinese."
    Get my point?

< Previous | Next >