“You capture the Soviet Union—I’m going to capture the states.”

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does “You capture the Soviet Union—I’m going to capture the states” mean “You capture the Soviet Union—I’m going to capture the United States”?

Thanks in advance
One of the State Policy Network’s founders, Thomas Roe, a construction magnate with strong anti-union views, was said to have told a Heritage board member, “You capture the Soviet Union—I’m going to capture the states.”

-New Yorker

Source

• Andygc

British English
    Without the initial capital it means the individual states that make up the United States, not the whole country in one capture.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I think you're right.

I had to read a lot of boring stuff before finding that sentence. Please tell us the number of the paragraph your quote is in next time.

I wanted to check that 'states' appeared thus. I'd have expected the New Yorker to have capitalised it.
    Thank you.

There is a more convenient way to get the context:

Simply copy "Soviet Union", click the source link to open the page, then press (Ctrl + F), paste " Soviet Union" into the pop up box and press Enter, it will lead you to it in less one second.

Andygc

British English
    NewAmerica. You ask the question so you are expected to provide the context. We offer our help - free of charge. There is no CTRL-F on a mobile phone or an Android tablet.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    NewAmerica. You ask the question so you are expected to provide the context. We offer our help - free of charge. There is no CTRL-F on a mobile phone or an Android tablet.
    Of course I've offered the context:

(The following is copied from the OP. Click the source and the whole article is there - the relevant context is also provided in the OP )

-New Yorker

Source

Andygc

British English
    But what you haven't provided is the background. I have no doubt the article makes it clear whether it should be States or states, but I don't plan to read it. Although my answer is a likely explanation, it's not much more than a guess because I have no background information.

As for
    There is a more convenient way to get the context:

Simply copy "Soviet Union", click the source link to open the page, then press (Ctrl + F), paste " Soviet Union" into the pop up box and press Enter, it will lead you to it in less one second.
    you might like to look up the expression "teach you grandmother to suck eggs".

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    As for a mobile phone or an Android tablet, because the Forum Rule limits the context to four sentences and it is not convenient for computers to mark the number of the line involved in the question. So my suggestion is: if you use a mobile phone or an Android tablet, simply ignore such thread.

Loob

English UK
    It would be better if you gave us some background information in the post, NewAmerica.

By the way, Andy's explanation looks eminently reasonable to me - though, like him, I haven't read the linked article.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    The title and subtitle of the article has already served as the background in my view.

The Danger of President Pence
    Trump’s critics yearn for his exit. But Mike Pence, the corporate right’s inside man, poses his own risks.

What is your opinion?

< Previous | Next >