…in one direction, sets me poles apart from them as far as kissing is concerned

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover( para.10) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):
I like women, but I don’t desire them. I like talking to them; but talking to them, though it makes me intimate in one direction , sets me poles apart from them as far as kissing is concerned. So there you are! But don’t take me as a general example, probably I’m just a special case: one of the men who like women, but don’t love women, and even hate them if they force me into a pretence of love, or an entangled appearance.

Well, the colored part is difficult for me to understand:

I'm not clear whether "direction" refers to "
the way something or someone moves, faces, or is aimed" in the quotation. And "sets me poles apart from them" is hardly understandable for me. But I guess "as far as kissing is concerned" is similar to the phrase "as far as I am concerned".

All in all, what's the meaning of the colored part please?

Thank you in advance

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I think these days we would say “in one way” instead of “in one direction” and would mean “to a certain extent”

poles apart” is an idiom meaning “very different” i.e. as far apart as the North Pole is from the South Pole”

“as far as kissing is concerned” means “where kissing is involved / when talking about kissing”

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    though it makes me intimate in one direction , sets me poles apart from them as far as kissing is concerned.
    "poles" refers to the North Pole and the South Pole, which are as far apart as is possible.

to set = to place, to position
    Poles apart = at the greatest distance possible.

though it makes me intimate in one direction , sets me poles apart from them as far as kissing is concerned. = though it [talking to women] makes me intimate on the one hand, [on the other hand] [talking to women] makes me feel that I am at the greatest distance possible from them when I consider my kissing them

< Previous | Next >