【like】 it has nothing to do with them

nicole110

chinese from Taiwan
Hi, all

I wrote such a sentence: “When something comes your way, you do not think about your parents, consult with them about it, 【like】 it has nothing to do with them.” I’m not sure whether there is a grammatical mistake around the word “like”. Should I place “sounding” before “like”? Could you do me a favor to answer it?

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi nicole110. I, as a BrE speaker, don't like "like" here at all, and would write "as if" or "as though". But unfortunately this (BrE)(mis)use of "like", which is a preposition, is becoming widespread in speech and is a feature of "loose" English, so I don't say it's not acceptable in this context. I think AmE speakers use it routinely in speech, at least.
    "Sounding" shouldn't be there. There's no reference to "sound", even metaphorically.
    There's a useful discussion here: like ../as if, and many more previous threads here.

Last edited:

nicole110

chinese from Taiwan
    Hi nicole110. I, as a BrE speaker, don't like "like" here at all, and would write "as if" or "as though". But unfortunately this (BrE)(mis)use of "like", which is a preposition, is becoming widespread in speech and is a feature of "loose" English, so I don't say it's not acceptable in this context. I think AmE speakers use it routinely in speech, at least.
    "Sounding" shouldn't be there. There's no reference to "sound", even metaphorically.
    There's a useful discussion here: like ../as if, and many more previous threads here.
    thank you for your helpful answer.

< Previous | Next >