Serafín33

What's up with this pronoun? I've never seen it described in textbooks or reference grammars, supposedly meaning "you" in female singular, as if addressing a girl. I'm aware it's not in mainstream usage, but has any of you seen it used? Is there any sort of stigma about it at least?

• viajero_canjeado

English - Southeastern USA
    Hi Neqitan!

妳 is used frequently in Taiwan. Seems like I've also seen it in the lyrics of mainland Chinese songs, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, since it sounds the same in speech, of course there's no stigma attached to saying it out loud, but when writing, the only potential problem is using it in reference to a male.. (or a female that doesn't like to be referred to as such..?) - it happens to me sometimes when people mis-type and don't correct their errors.

Saludos!

SuperXW

Yes, it's commonly used in Taiwan.
    Other than in Taiwan, it's often used in Taiwanese and Cantonese(Hong Kong) Karaoke subtitles. (Typically not for mainland songs, unless some are intentionally imitating the 港台 style. Or, in a karaoke box, their software support Traditional Chinese by default.)

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    Why, you can always use 娥 (terrible joke, but I can't help it). In Christian hymns I've also seen 祢, which also happens to be the simplified character of 禰, one of the rarer surnames.

SuperXW

So we've got special 他 and 你 for female. Have we also go a special 我 for this as well?
    Nop. :) If you put 女 beside 我 you'll get 娥. Totally different character. Nothing to do with "I".

Also there're other variants such as 祢,祂-for God. 牠-for animals. Not so common either. (Some inputing methods or codes don't support them.)

< Previous | Next >