yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently listening to a Cantonese song called 今宵多珍重 by 陳百強. This is my first time seeing the character 宵 as a separate word. Is it more "literary" Chinese? (Is it used in informal spoken Cantonese, too? Just asking because I know that spoken Cantonese and spoken Mandarin often prefer different words with the same meaning!)
Thanks!

• AquisM

English - mostly BrE, HK Cantonese
    @yuechu Just thought of a couple of points I wanted to highlight:
    1. 今晚 can be pronounced gam1 maan5 or gam1 maan5*1. The latter is perhaps a little more colloquial and used in daily conversation, but both are natural and common.
    2. You likely already know this, but in general, Cantopop lyrics are written in Standard Chinese (or a register close to it), so you have to be careful when using them to learn informal Cantonese.

yuechu

Canada, English
    1. 今晚 can be pronounced gam1 maan5 or gam1 maan5*1. The latter is perhaps a little more colloquial and used in daily conversation, but both are natural and common.
    2. You likely already know this, but in general, Cantopop lyrics are written in Standard Chinese (or a register close to it), so you have to be careful when using them to learn informal Cantonese. I think I had heard that before but I'd almost forgotten!

They are both very useful to know! 唔該晒, AquisM! 😄

Last edited: