Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Ghabi, Dec 4, 2012.

  1. Ghabi

    Ghabi AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod

    Hong Kong
    Hello everyone! Do you think the word 潽 would be understood by everyone or it's a bit too regional? For example, would you understand if one says 豆漿潽了 "the soy milk has boiled over"? If not, what word would you use, please? Thanks!
  2. Lucia_zwl

    Lucia_zwl Senior Member

    Hi Ghabi,

    We say the same in northeast, but, to be honest, this character is quite unfamiliar to me. We say it a lot but seldom write it down. :p
  3. phill84 Member

    Amsterdam, NL
    Mandarin - China
    I have always been using 撲 until I see this thread :p
  4. BODYholic Senior Member

    Chinese Cantonese
    No, without referring to a dictionary, I haven't a clue what it means. I'm also very certain that not many people from my country can recite its meaning off-hand. The closest we ever get is none other than the famous Chinese tea called 潽洱.

    I reckon this is the only Chinese morpheme which describes the actions of both "boil"(滚) and "spill"(溢). If the context is clear (e.g. cooking something), using 溢 alone is usually adequate to send the right message across. Otherwise, we have to resort in to using compound verb like 滚溢. In your case, (你在煮的)豆漿滚溢了 or 豆漿滚溢了出来。
  5. Lucia_zwl

    Lucia_zwl Senior Member

    @BODYholic, 潽 is pronounced as 'pu1', while the tea you mentioned should be 普洱茶.
    Maybe in Singapore you don't even say this word? Last time when cooking with a Singaporean girl, I said something like "火开太大了容易潽", and she didn't understand:eek:, then I said "spill". But I've never heard of "滚溢"...
  6. Youngfun

    Youngfun Senior Member

    Bắc Kinh
    Wu Chinese & Italian
    I've never heard neither 潽 nor 溢. Maybe I'm really a semi-illiterate in Chinese. lol
    About 潽 at first I also got confused and thought about 普洱茶。
    In dictionaries both and are defined with this meaning. So both should be Standard Chinese words.
    Someone also uses 滚溢.

    I didn't know any specific word for "boil and spill over", I usually say 满出来 or 滚出来。
    In my dialect we usually say 满出爻, or more specifically /boŋ/出爻... I don't know how to write the character... maybe 澎?
  7. Ghabi

    Ghabi AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod

    Hong Kong
    Thanks for your insights, really interesting! @BODYholic, Yes, I think this is a really concise word so I want to make sure that most people would understand it, but now it seems that it's more of a Northern word.:)
  8. Youngfun

    Youngfun Senior Member

    Bắc Kinh
    Wu Chinese & Italian
    By the way, I hope I never will have to say 豆漿潽了... I hate the taste of boiled soy milk :(
  9. stephenlearner Senior Member

    I haven't known that Cantonese speakers also use this word until I see this thread. In my dialect (north of Huanghe), we say 潽 and 溢, but with different tones from Mandarin. For 溢, we don't say yi; we say "yu". Also my mate, who speaks Mandarin, says "yu" too.

Share This Page