akhooha

English - USA
What is this character?
unknown.png

Can anyone show me what the regular print style is of this character?
Also, is the radical of this character "礻" ?
Thank you.

• SuperXW

Fortune, happiness, good luck, blessing
    A very common character for making good wishes, especially in the Chinese New Year period.
    People may attach it upside-down to their doors, making a pun of that 福倒了 "fortune is upside-down", sounded identical to 福到了 "fortune has arrived".

shutiao

Mandarin
    this is 福(fu2),most time meaning of blessing ,good fortune or others good meanings.and also a surname.
    and yes it radical of character "礻" .
    i don't know about Chinese Calligraphy so can't tell what the regular print style is,but i feel it's a very common style you can see it when chinese new year.
    we will write or buy a 福 and put it on the door,some people will reversed it becuse reverse 福 in chinese pronounce as 福倒了(fu2 dao4 le)“fu is reversed” sounded same as 福到了“fortune has come”.
    360截图20160129094039826.jpg mp3006069_1424142886999_5.jpeg

akhooha

English - USA
    Thank you both for your quick replies.
    Is it just me, or does it appear that the calligrapher has used an awful lot of "calligraphic license" in writing this character? In particular, looks to me like the "十" inside the big square (囗) looks more like a small square than "十" ....

shutiao

Mandarin
    the stroke order is 礻+一 +口+田
    like this
    360截图20160129100722000.jpg

Chinese Calligraphy has many different style,in some style you might hard to recognize it.
    but the order of handwriting just like above.the picture below is some different Calligraphy style.

b7fd5266d0160924550c4b18d00735fae6cd348c_副本.png

SuperXW

Thank you both for your quick replies.
    Is it just me, or does it appear that the calligrapher has used an awful lot of "calligraphic license" in writing this character? In particular, looks to me like the "十" inside the big square (囗) looks more like a small square than "十" ....
    The writing is quite regular and satisfactory according to the Chinese calligraphic sense. It is not very deformed comparing to some other styles and characters.
    If you treat calligraphy as a form of art, you'll know it is not important to keep its original strokes and make it most recognizable.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >