< Previous | Next >

viajero_canjeado

English - Southeastern USA
這個字怎麼用? 我不理解它的意思..有一些規則可以幫我知道我應該用什麼時候?
How do you use this word? I don't understand its meaning.. are there rules that define when it should be used?

謝謝!

• Jianfeng

Chinese
    Most usual uses:
    1. 著名 adj.: famous+somebody or something.
    2. 著 vt.:write great books or articles mainly on literature, economics, politics and nature science. never used to the book about entertainment or scandal issues.
    3. 执著(also 执着)adj.: stick to, it also means stubborn as a negative word in Buddhism.
    4.显著 adj.: Means obvious.
    5.土著 adj. or noun:aboriginal human.
    Maybe you will find some other uses of 著, but what I've listed above are the main uses.

viajero_canjeado

I should have pointed out the specific usage which sounds like ㄓㄜ˙. I saw a definition that said "adverbial particle", but that tells me nothing about how or when to use it or the meaning it contributes.

Jerry Chan

Cantonese, Hokkien
    We usually use it to indicate continuous action or something in existence .
    看著/着電視 watching TV
    戴著/着戒指 wearing a ring
    過著/着好生活 living a good life
    桌上放著/着一本書 a book is on the desk

Note the difference between Taiwan and the mainland.
    On the mainland, 着 is used for the above meaning. So:

But in Taiwan, 著 is used for both.

In Hong Kong, we tend to write 着 but type 著, because we use the Chinese system (traditional Chinese) developed in Taiwan. And in earlier days there was no 着.

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    著: How do you use this word?
    I don't think the question is specific or clear enough for accurate & relevant answers, unless you try again. You could perhaps cite some example sentences where you find it in?

Jerry Chan

Cantonese, Hokkien
    I don't think the question is specific or clear enough for accurate & relevant answers, unless you try again. You could perhaps cite some example sentences where you find it in?
    Viajero was referring to the 著(着) that's pronounced ㄓㄜ (zhe) and serves as an "adverbial particle".

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    Yes, I know that Jerry, but with a very wide range of usages of the 着 alone (not to mention 著!), I don't think Viajero will get a satisfactory answer with the question putting that way, even though I've seen your very good effort to help.

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    我著(or 着)看书 = I'm reding a book?
    No, "I'm reading a book" should be "我在看书"
    (There is no 着 in this sentence, and this means that 着 is not to be applied mechanically.)

viajero_canjeado

Okay, as for examples, I may be wrong in asserting that these are all usages of the "adverbial particle", but I got the impression this was the case. All these are lyrics from a song, and I'll give a shot at translating them keeping Jerry Chan's advice in mind (don't be surprised if they're way wrong!):

人群中哭著 - Within the group of people [there] is crying.
    你靜靜忍著 - You are quietly putting up with it all.
    緊緊把昨天在拳心握著 - Tightly grasping yesterday's fist-like heart..
    於是妳含著眼淚飄飄盪蕩跌跌撞撞的走著 - Wow.. I'm stumped. Maybe "your tears fall so much they make a pond that you stumble around in"?
    我站在妳左側卻像隔著銀河 - I stand by your left side and refuse to be like the partition of the Milky Way. (huh?)
    然後再後悔著 - And then you feel remorseful all over again.
    難道緊緊的抱著遺憾一直到老了 - I don't get it.
    重新開始活著 - So start living again.

Jerry Chan

Cantonese, Hokkien
    Okay, as for examples, I may be wrong in asserting that these are all usages of the "adverbial particle", but I got the impression this was the case. All these are lyrics from a song, and I'll give a shot at translating them keeping Jerry Chan's advice in mind (don't be surprised if they're way wrong!):

人群中哭著 - Within the group of people [there] is crying.
    緊緊把昨天在拳心握著 - Tightly grasping yesterday's fist-like heart..
    於是妳含著眼淚飄飄盪蕩跌跌撞撞的走著 - Wow.. I'm stumped. Maybe "your tears fall so much they make a pond that you stumble around in"?
    我站在妳左側卻像隔著銀河 - I stand by your left side and refuse to be like the partition of the Milky Way. (huh?)
    然後再後悔著 - And then you feel remorseful all over again.
    重新開始活著 - So start living again.
    My try:
    人群中哭著 - Within the group of people we're crying.
    緊緊把昨天在拳心握著 - Tightly grasping yesterday in your hand.
    And you wandered in tears, stumbling and staggering.
    我站在妳左側卻像隔著銀河 - I stand by your left side but it's like we were separated by the Milky Way.
    然後再後悔著 - And then we feel remorseful all over again.
    Should we hold on to the remorse for the rest of our lives?
    重新開始活著 - Let's start living again.

< Previous | Next >