'1 + 1' i[for 'buy one, get one free'?]

JungKim

Korean
Can you say '1 + 1' or 'one plus one' instead of 'buy one, get one free'?
This is what Koreans say and while I was looking at this wikipedia, I came across this picture posted in there:
Happy_Hour.jpg

The article says this picture is
"Happy hour" sign on a pub in Jerusalem
So I guess they say '1 + 1' there. But how about English-speaking countries?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Well, you could say it, but it wouldn't be clear what you meant, not to start off with at any rate.

A large number of offers and discounts use terms dreamt up by marketing people and advertising agents. If they become popular enough, they enter the public consciousness, and other, smaller businesses without marketing budgets and people whose job it is just to think up names for things copy the same terms. These aren't particularly language related, it is more down to locality.

I wonder how widespread 'happy hour' is understood, for that matter. We use it widely in Britain, but I am not sure it is used everywhere English is spoken.

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    No 1+1 in AE. "Happy hour" is alive and well in AE.

Moreover, technically speaking, nothing is "free" if it's dependent upon the purchase of another item.

That's what marketing bumph does for what used to be "two for the price of one."

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    That's funny, because in the picture there is the reflexion of a person who seems to scratch their head, wondering what "1+1" means. :)

JungKim

Korean
    That's funny, because in the picture there is the reflexion of a person who seems to scratch their head, wondering what "1+1" means. :)
    I think he's taking a picture.
    Maybe because of the unusual expression. :D

Come to think of it, I wonder why the writer(s) of this wiki chose this picture containing a rather unusual expression. :rolleyes:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I think he's taking a picture.
    I think he's taking the picture we're looking at. :)

"Two for one" and "buy one, get one" are most common here. The latter is so common, in fact, that places will sometimes just put "BOGO" on their signs.

< Previous | Next >