Hi, everyone!

How do you read "1/4 cup of water"?
1) one quarter of a cup of water
2) one quarter of the cup of water
3) one fourth of a cup of water
4) one fourth of the cup of water

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    1) for me. Not 2) or 4) - not with 'the'. Also, 'one' can be 'a'. I would most likely say 'a quarter of a cup of water'. In BrE only 'quarter' is used; in AmE both it and 'fourth' are.

It can also be a quarter cup of water, with no first 'of'. I think only the fractions 'half' and 'quarter' can omit the first 'of': it's required for 'third' and the rest, I suppose, to avoid being mistaken for an ordinal.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In the context of a cooking recipe, I would only say "a quarter cup of water" (no "one", no "fourth", no "of a").
    In limited situations it may be possible to use "a quarter of the cup of water", for example if you need a whole cup of water, and are instructed first to add a quarter of that water, and then perhaps to add the rest later.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In the context of a cooking recipe, I would only say "a quarter cup of water" (no "one", no "fourth", no "of a").
    In limited situations it may be possible to use "a quarter of the cup of water", for example if you need a whole cup of water, and are instructed first to add a quarter of that water, and then perhaps to add the rest later.
    Just a note that the use of fourth (in preference to quarter) in this context is more common in AE than in BE.

< Previous | Next >