1 ou n (liste)

shakingspear

England English
I have come across an abbreviating technique which I have not sen before. Is the "n" here below short for "nombreux" (several)? It is a list within a data migration specifications manual for alocating permissions to website users:

• Intervenants (cf. personnes)
  • 1 ou n conseillers (directeur de collection,…)
  • 1 ou n éditeurs (RET et REM)
  • 1 ou n membres du comité de lecture
  • 1 ou n rubriques ordonnées

• Shang Qin Li

UK born Live in France English
    "One or any number of..." or if you think that doesn't fit then "one..... or more". For instance: "one publisher, or more,......". As Djara said, "n" refers to an infinite number.... in Mathematics; "x" is a variable (in Maths, too). We wouldn't really use "n" in this context in the UK....not natural.

Loneken

Belgium French
    "n" is used like "x" in math equations. N is used here 'cause it is a "Natural number" (from 0 to infinite,but not the fractionnal onumbers, i.e. : 1,2,3,4,.....,10000001,.....,infinite)
    the variable N is a used a lot in IT to determine relation link in DB and such (at least, it is used in the RUP/UML analyze method I studied :))

Shang Qin Li

Actually, it is my fault. I should have said that "n" can be any number and not an infinite number. The symbol for infinite is a horizontal 8. Correct me if I am wrong.

George French

English - UK
    No, indeed, but it can be.
    I made mention of 'infinite' as the last possible natural number, not that the value of n must be infinite
    There is no last natural number, infinitity is beyond the last...

When one uses 1 to n we are busy with a different issue than 1 to infinity.

The first is countable the second is not.

Shang Qin Li

Good heavens! A math lesson on a Saturday morning. How about simply "1 or more"?
    You never stop learning new things on this Forum. That's why I think it's great. One thing leads to another...... That's the beauty of it. I would even go as far as suggesting starting a special section for scientific and mathematical matters....
    Putting Maths aside, and going back to your question:
    Yes, "1 or more" is (I think) the simplest way of putting it. Provided it does fit in the context., of course.

< Previous | Next >