1 to 10, 1 through 10

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sergiotcj, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Sergiotcj Senior Member

Español de España
    1 to 10
    1 through 10
    Are both correct?
    Are they interchangeable?

2. JordyBro Senior Member

English - Australia
    In regard to spans yes (eg ten to twenty women, monday to friday), although the first reading is also used for ratios if my memory recalls me, for example 2:1 is read two to one (but not two through one).

3. cando Senior Member

English - British
    "1 through 10" is a distinctively AE mode of expression. BrE uses "1 to 10" for spans.

4. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    The term 1 through 10 is used in American English and I take it as meaning "one to ten, including ten".

I think that is more specific than 1 to 10, where 10 is not necessarily included (though it normally is). I am expecting others to disagree with that.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  5. cando Senior Member

English - British
    I would understand "1 to 10" to mean the whole series including 10, not 1 -9. If there was doubt, I might add "inclusive" to the phrase to make it clear.

6. Sergiotcj Senior Member

Español de España
    Thank you!
    How about 1 up to 10? I think 10 is not included here, am I right?

7. cando Senior Member

English - British
    I'm not so sure about that. Again I would normally understand that 10 is included. The nuance has changed by using "up to" suggesting that this is not just a series or set but a limiting statement with 10 as the upper limit and emphasising that there is nothing beyond. Again, if there was doubt, I would add "up to and including 10". Sorry but English isn't always very precise.

8. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    As I see it:

In American English: They are not interchangeable. "1 through 10" always includes 10. "1 to 10" is ambiguous. It may include 10 or it may not. I would usually take it not to include 10, since we have the word "through" to describe the situation where we want to include it.

In British English: They are also not interchangeable, but for a different reason: the word "through" is not used in this context. "To" has the same ambiguity problem as it does in AE. A BE speaker would say something like "1 to 10, inclusive" to be completely clear.