1 yard = 91 meters? /or/ 91 centimeters?

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
yard /yɑrd/ n. [countable]
  • a unit of measure in English-speaking countries, equal to 3 feet or 36 inches (0.9144 meter).
yard - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

Hello,
I can not understand the blue part very well because the red dot makes me confused. :mad:
Even in Wikipedia it's written like the blue part with a dot. What's that dot? The red dot makes me not to understand it. Now I don't know exactly that each yard is equal to how many centimeters/meters.:mad:

1 inch = 2 centimeters
36 inch = 91 centimeters
1 yard = 36 inch
1 yard = 91 meters?:mad: or 91 centimeters?:mad:

I would be grateful if you help me to understand the result of 1 yard in meter and centimeter.

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    The dot is just a bullet point* – ignore it in terms of meaning and you'll use fewer frowny faces. :)

1 yard = 0.9144 meters. Multiply one meter times 0.9144 and you'll get 36 inches.
    1 meter = 39.37 inches. 39.37 inches times 0.9144 = 36 inches.

This information is also available in places other than Wikipedia ... and they're easy to look up. Just look for any "length converter" online.

I'm afraid I must ask: do you really think that one yard might be 91 meters?

*Oh, that red dot ... it was too small for me to see it. It's a decimal point, as suzi says below.

Loob

English UK
    Sb, am I right that in your country, people use a comma as a decimal mark - so
    for one-tenth you would write 0,1
    for two-tenths you would write 0,2
    and so on?

In the UK and the US, we use a point rather than a comma: 0.1 0.2:)

suzi br

English / England
    Sb, am I right that in your country, people use a comma as a decimal mark - so
    for one-tenth you would write 0,1
    for two-tenths you would write 0,2
    and so on?

In the UK and the US, we use a point rather than a comma: 0.1 0.2:)
    Aha!
    Light dawning all round.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    I'm afraid I must ask: do you really think that one yard might be 91 meters?
    Hi Copyright,
    Well, to tell you the truth I had never seen "yard" in my math books. I am not good at maths at all too. :)
    But thanks for helping. I understood it.
    The red dot is a decimal point ... maths not English!
    I got it thank you.
    Sb, am I right that in your country, people use a comma as a decimal mark - so for one-tenth you would write 0,1 ,for two-tenths you would write 0,2 and so on?
    Hi,
    Yes, you are right Loob.
    Thanks.

< Previous | Next >