10^40 is close enough to infinity for us humans

< Previous | Next >

Omega Force

Spanish
Hello.

I'm speaking about a very big number, 10^40 which a 1 followed by 40 zeroes, and I would like to say that it is "close enough to infinity for us humans"...

Like if someone ask "Is the number infinite?" and I reply "It's 10^40, so yes in a sense it's near infinity".

But I'm not sure how I could say it in a very elegant way. I would like some suggestions please.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• Andygc

British English
    Your thread title seems to me to be the way to say what you want to say:
    "10^40 is close enough to infinity for us humans"
    and I would say 10^40 as "ten to the fortieth". Saying "power" is redundant if talking to people who have some understanding of big numbers, and meaningless to those who have none.

srk

English - US
    Omega Force said:
    I would like to say that it is "close enough to infinity for us humans"...

I wouldn't say that around a street gang of mathematicians. Even the stay-at-home types get testy at that kind of insult.

You might say that 10^40 is more than a billion times the diameter of the observable universe in inches
    — not infinite but unimaginably large.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Saying "power" is redundant if talking to people who have some understanding of big numbers, and meaningless to those who have none.
    I estimate that 10% of the audience have some understanding of big numbers (enough to appreciate srk's observation that 10^40 is not near infinity),
    and another 10% have none, leaving 80% for whom "power" is not redundant.:)
    C'mon, people, where are the poets in this crowd? We're talking rhetoric, not mathematics.

< Previous | Next >